How often do you need rescuing?

How often do you need to be rescued from a mechanical on average?

• once in every 100 miles

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • once in every 1,000 miles

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • once in every 10,000 miles

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • once in every 100,000 miles

Votes: 20 18.0%
  • less often or never been rescued

Votes: 69 62.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GoldenLamprey

The train does count in these COVID times.

Never needed rescuing. Catastrophic wheel or tyre problems are the only things I would anticipate ending a ride. I carry a tyre boot and various tools in a pencil case in a pocket. It doesn't matter which bike I am on, I cannot leave them on another bike, which is the issue with saddle bags.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The most impressive bit of that story is, finding a parking place in York ;)

Parked in an old engine shed, so as close as it was possible to get to the end of the ride.

The shed was also parking for the nearby hotel, which made me more confident about leaving the car overnight.

When I returned, I told the attendant what I'd been up to, partly because he might wonder why some bloke on a bike was riding into the shed.

"Ah," he said. "Since your car has been here overnight you must have stayed in the hotel."

The 'hotel tariff' was a nice few quid cheaper then the usual 24 hour price.

2 bolt SPDs. Best of both worlds.
Yep not too terrible at all to walk in them, even in quite racy looking shoes. I do wear flats loaded touring these days though - less chance of shoe leaks from the bottom and pushing a bike uphill on certain surfaces, particularly cobbles, can be a drag with clips.

Lee_M

Guru
Twice in 10k miles, once because a tubeless tyre wouldn't reseal and I couldnt get the valve off to stick a tube in, and once following a major club ride collision where I fractured my leg and tore all my knee and ankle ligaments.

byegad

Legendary Member
Twice for me.
First time in 'The Great Profanity Incident' on a wet night in Darlington, when I broke two tyre levers, skinned all my knuckles and taught several onlooking urchins some new and 'interesting' words!
The cause? A Marathon+ punctured on a broken bottle that eventually came off the rim at home with the aid of a very large metal motorcycle tyre lever and wire cutters, with, sadly, even more profanity.
The second was caused by a broken seat frame on my Kettwiesel trike, rendering it unrideable.
This persuaded me to join the ETA who recover cycles, and recumbent trikes.

It's exceedingly rare that I need rescuing; maybe 3 times in the 11 years I've been cycling.

The most recent incident was on my way to work about a month ago. I got a puncture & discovered my pump was knackered to the point of not working so I called my wife & git a lift into work rather than walk the remaining 3 miles & be late.

If the puncture had happened on the commute home I would have walked home.

johnnyb47

Guru
Thankfully I've never been stuck in which a lift home was needed. I've had the odd roadside puncture to condend with, and went through a spell of spokes snapping mid ride which involved a gentle ride back home. Touch wood this year will be the same with no major mishaps. I also take my phone though when out cycling (just in case)

Top Bottom