How often do you rest during a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Don't usually stop on rides up to 70 miles, unless it's a proper leisure ride with pub stops. Anything over that I tend to stop every 50 miles, but never for too long as that does more harm than good for me.

But it's quite individual and if in a group, agreed in advance and weather dependent, so could be anything!!

Jody

Stubborn git
Anything less than 3 hours I head out without food or water as I don't need it for that interval.

That pretty much sums me up as well. I take a drink but don't often have more than a quick swig or two.

D

Deleted member 26715

That pretty much sums me up as well. I take a drink but don't often have more than a quick swig or two.
That's interesting, as I drink a lot, I don't stop other than junctions, gates, maybe a very add photo, but never a rest stop, but on 20-30 miles I will drink 2 litres of fluid.

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't do long rides now but when i did...
30 milers, no stop generally although if, if i felt a little jaded i might stop and get a mars bar and a can of fizzy, stop as long as it took to neck it and off again, that usually gave me some vim.
50 milers, i'd probably stop for a breakfast 15 miles in or maybe some chips at dinner...or maybe a cake and tea stop or a pint somewhere..

I wouldnt generally just stop and rest , there'd have to be some refuelling...not becasue i needed to but because im a greedy git :laugh:

It depends on the ride, and conditions.
https://www.relive.cc/view/2356508009
I led a 3 day, 260 ( odd ) mile ride a couple of weeks back, and on this leg ( just over 100 miles, in poor conditions, with lots of climbing ) I stopped the group 3 times, for about 10 minutes at a time.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2359039018

This was day 2, again just over 100 miles, the weather was much better, and there was less terrain, and I stopped the group twice, again about 10 minutes a time.

https://www.relive.cc/view/2361459558

This was the third ( and final ) leg, of about 60 miles. The weather was lovely, and the route wasn’t that tough, in comparison to the last two legs. I stopped the group twice, the first time for about 30 minutes, as someone had a mechanical that took a while to sort out, the second was a quick ‘slash and dash’.

So basically. the stops are dependent on need, and not a rigid regime.

Jody

Stubborn git
That's interesting, as I drink a lot, I don't stop other than junctions, gates, maybe a very add photo, but never a rest stop, but on 20-30 miles I will drink 2 litres of fluid.

I take one medium size bottle and use about a quarter on a 20 mile ride. Anything longer than 30 miles and I would factor food and drink in correctly.

Lee_M

Guru
30/40 miles or so is non stop.

Anything above that usually has a coffee stop at the half way point.

100+ are usually split into 25 mile chunks as I find that easier mentally

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I rode my 400k event (Exeter-London) with a friend who hadn't tackled more than 300 before. We took 23hrs 30m to complete, including 2hrs 25m stopped (fish & chips at 170k included). The distances between controls were between about 70k and 100k.

Touring, I might well stop more frequently, not being on a mission as it were.

All depends, MK cycles serve very good coffee, shortest route from home to there is about 20 Kms. On a good day I spin it out to 30 Kms, then over the top to Rivington and into Horwich, I have a cafe there which allows me to take the bike inside so I might have lunch, then if I'm feeling very lazy I may well stop at Costa in Bolton, just 8 Kms from home. Being retired, on a sunny day, I can easily manage three stops in a 60 Km ride.

Before my prostate surgery I stopped more frequently.............but only for a wee while..

I agree about the coffee in MK cycles. I work in the unit next to them and I am in there every lunch time. I can also recommend the Carrs steak pasties!
Which cafe do you use in Horwich? Just for future reference!

rugby bloke

Veteran
I remember fast riders complaining about the rides on one training camp holiday in Spain. The ride leader would not stop even to allow riders to fill bottles. They were doing 100 miles in just over 4 hours in spring temperatures sometimes exceeding 25C!
After my experience in the Spanish heat last week this sounds like utter madness, nothing cool about dehydration or heat exhaustion.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Two litres would see me about 100 miles unless it was during a heat wave. But does depend on how much you are sweating. I drink based on what the body is telling me, not on distance. I know that if I'm only out for three hours I won't lose so much in sweat that it'll impact me. That clearly changes if heading out when temps are high.

In contrast when on the turbo I might go through 500 ml every 30 mins.

Top Bottom