How often do you rest during a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnblack

Über Member
Bugbrooke is a fine local club - I have had many a good dice with your boys both as a player and a coach. Its a pity the Saints lads could not pull of a shock result to reward your efforts !
Yeah it's a great club. The result was not great, good first half though. But a great night in the ground afterwards made up for it. Someone suggested riding down again for the playoff the following week, I may have told them to go forth...

When I feel like a ciggie.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It's all about listening to your body & knowing what you need. I used to carry 2 bottles of drink on the bike, but would quite often drank not much more than 1, even if out all day. Nowadays I only take 1 drinks bottle & have been know to manage 100 miles without a refil, probably not enough I know, but I manage :okay: If I do need a refill, I find suitable village store & usually top my bottle up with Coke/water mix (works for me) Normally on 100+ mile rides I will have a food/cafe stop, but can do around 80 miles without a food stop, just have a cereal bar or something whilst on the move

Given the frequency of my hedge-sprinkling on rides these days, I suspect that I am heading that way too...! :whistle:
You had things checked out mate? It's only a blood test nowadays :okay: I've been having a few issues last few months :sad: I've been given the all clear from the Docs, so reckon it may have just been saddle issues, even though I've been using the same saddles for years?? Maybe it's just different using the turbo, as last winter I used the turbo bike far more than ever before? Did 75 miles last week with no issues, so fingers crossed :blush:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You had things checked out mate? It's only a blood test nowadays :okay: I've been having a few issues last few months :sad: I've been given the all clear from the Docs, so reckon it may have just been saddle issues, even though I've been using the same saddles for years?? Maybe it's just different using the turbo, as last winter I used the turbo bike far more than ever before? Did 75 miles last week with no issues, so fingers crossed :blush:
Not yet... :whistle:

I'm glad that your test results were good!

Con

Über Member
If I'm by myself I don't stop and I know that's stupid but when I'm in a group I'll reluctantly stop when (normally) my mates wife has had enough about half way up a small hill...

Just out riding, I'll stop long enough to take a drink. I used to do that on the go but after nearly coming a cropper in a pothole i stop now. I stopped a couple of times today early on as I just couldn't seem to get going. It seemed to work, felt better during the 2nd half of the ride.

RETED25

Listen to you and your body...eg Inused to ride 112mile loop and stop twice at top of two BIG hills ..loop out through Lymm is 54 Miles will always stop at Village its law in local cycling fraternity...bit in my own I stip when I am in need of a break ...changes in personal health and fitness dictating my Bike is able to stop for a quick check over or shoot some wildlife pics ..did what's best for you ....

rivers

How far can I go?
It depends on the ride. A weekend morning ride of 50-100 miles, we'll have one stop, maybe 2 if it's 80-100, depending on conditions. 100+ at least 3. If it's a post work ride, there is always a pub stop. They're usually about 45 miles. 30-50 mile ride, usually a cafe stop when we get back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I decided that I needed a little rest on my forum ride on Saturday... :whistle:

ColinJ fights for life after nightmare ascent of Halton Moor.jpg

:blush:

Depends on my objective. Sometimes I'm the lightweight who stops every 10 miles on a 40 mile ride. 40 miles 2:40 hours ride time, 4:00 hours total time after socializing with friends.

Sometimes I take a 10 minute break and a 20 minute to eat something in order to finish a 100 mile timed event with 10,000 ft of climbing. 7:10 minute ride time, 7:38 elapsed total official time.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Generally we ride 60-70 miles at 16-17avg. On the way out there will usually be one pee stop of five minutes. Cafe stop of 30-40 minutes then home.

If riding solo I often don't bother to stop unless I need a pee.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
If it's very hot or very cold, I take a short drink and rest stop every 10-15 miles, just to stay hydrated and not overheat/freeze.
I sometimes have whole weeks of 33C+ high temperatures in the Midwestern States.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Tonight's ride I clipped in on the driveway, rode 41.4 miles without stopping or unclipping until back on my driveway again.
Usually I stop to take photos but today I just wanted to ride.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom