How often do you see a jogger smiling - ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by simongt, 24 Mar 2018.

1. simongt

simongt Über Member

This point always amuses me. It's common among I'm sure all of us cyclists, to pass a cyclist going t'other way and exchange a smile, wave, greeting. However when it comes to joggers, I've yet to see one smiling or even looking vaguely content.
    If jogging is that good for you, why do joggers never appear to be enjoying what they're doing - ! :rofl:

Illaveago, simon.r and Reynard like this.
  2. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

I'm too busy trying not to look like I'm having a coronary to be able to smile!

3. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Does it count as a KER-CHING! if the offender is a jogger? @ianrauk

4. Maybe because joggers think you’re ugly?

BrumJim likes this.
  5. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

My thoughts exactly. It's why I've never felt inspired to take up jogging... :laugh:

Illaveago and ADarkDraconis like this.
  6. simon.r

simon.r Person

I’d never thought of it before, but @simongt is right, they do always look as if they’re doing it for reasons other than pleasure.

The only exception I can think of is one local running group that sometimes stops at a chippy I frequent from time to time - they seem happy then!

Elysian_Roads likes this.
  7. Afnug

Afnug Everything you can imagine is real

I used to do a lot of running, I always made a point of smiling and saying hi to people just to freak them out, they expect you to be a miserable git if your running, and for some reason if running you get all sorts of odd stuff shouted at you, I never get this walking, people are strange.

ADarkDraconis and Elysian_Roads like this.
  8. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

I've had a jogger overtake and drop me!

It was a long time ago and I was about 3 miles from home after a long long ride.

9. Shortandcrisp

Shortandcrisp Senior Member

Last summer my son pointed out to me that we’d cycled 26 miles in about the same time as Mo Farrow takes to run a marathon. I wasn’t smiling.

BrumJim, sotkayak, Spinney and 7 others like this.
  10. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

My commuting pace is about Mo's marathon pace

11. Archeress

Archeress Veteran

We did today actually, we were on our way back from the city centre up a cycle path that has a short but sharp climb easing off to a slope. I had my fiance with me and I had to be gentle with him as he doesn't do much cycling and we had already done some big climbs on the way into the city centre. So whilst I was being gentle on with my man on the cycle path a jogger came running past :cycle:

Hugs
    Archeress x

12. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Charming but somewhat feckless

They certainly do a convincing job of making it look like it's a punishment.

ADarkDraconis and simongt like this.
  13. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

Depends how upset one gets at a random human not saying hello.

Oldbloke, R_nger, Ian H and 2 others like this.
  14. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

At least it wasn't a mountain biker, now that would have been humiliating.

Accy cyclist and Sharky like this.
  15. Shortandcrisp

Shortandcrisp Senior Member

An Ironman event in Cromer 4 or 5 year’s ago. One poor fella was so done in after the swim and cycle that the wife and I actually walked passed him on Cromer Prom as he was ‘running’ the marathon!

Elysian_Roads and Sharky like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice