How often do you see a jogger smiling - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I cannot say I've ever been bored whilst out riding a bike. I've sometimes been pretty hacked off, usually if I've got completely soaked in a sudden unexpected downpour, but I never regard riding a bike as a tedious chore. I think a lot of joggers/runners just go out to try and clock up a target mileage, even if they aren't in the mood. When I ride a bike I'm either doing it for a specific reason to get somewhere, of if I'm doing it for the physical activity aspect I just go out until my legs tell me enough is enough. I never ride to a mileage or average speed target.

Mmmm yeah, much the same here.

Then again, living in the countryside I'm lucky there's always lots to look at while on the bike; flowers, wildlife, some amazing big fen skies, lovely views, and the same is true whether I'm commuting to the station, bimbling to the shops or out for a "proper" ride.

On the flip side, kudos to the bods I do see out jogging, as they're out doing exercise.

DanZac

For some obscure reason runners dont even tend to acknowledge each other let alone other lesser types.
I have noticed though that the worse the conditions the more likely it is that cycists and runners are to share a smile or wave. Probably a shared what are we doing here or shared pity than anything else.

Archeress

Veteran
If anybody is bored with running and I can see why just pounding the the streets is boring, get off road there is a lot of countryside out there and plenty of public footpaths, I have cycled all my life but my main sport was Orienteering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering) if you get a chance give it a go, I still do bike orienteering.
I did some orienteering some years ago. Became quickly disillusioned though after the ones in my area had a habit of hiding the points. One I remember in the Killerton Estate had me and a female army officer searching for a full 20 minutes to finally find it in a depression full of brambles, ferns and nettles. It was obvious the army officer had more experience and she was fuming saying they're not meant to hide them. We'd both been right on top of it all the time.

Hugs
Archeress x

Venod

Eh up
I did some orienteering some years ago. Became quickly disillusioned though after the ones in my area had a habit of hiding the points. One I remember in the Killerton Estate had me and a female army officer searching for a full 20 minutes to finally find it in a depression full of brambles, ferns and nettles. It was obvious the army officer had more experience and she was fuming saying they're not meant to hide them. We'd both been right on top of it all the time.

I have experienced lots of them, commonly referred to as bingo controls (you find them by luck rather than skill) and the army officer was right.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
At least it wasn't a mountain biker, now that would have been humiliating.
It depends who she is ... the woman who overtook me at warp speed on her mountain bike rode for Britain in the Olympics! :laugh:

Slick

Guru
I really enjoy cycling, but you'd have a tough time getting a smile out of me while I'm cycling. The external isn't always indicative of what occurs underneath.
I remember years ago, a work colleague made a comment to my sister about smiling more and she tore strips off him as she was at her work and far too busy for pleasantries.

She is a dental nurse.:laugh:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You can't win parkrun, it's not a race
It's not a race in the same sense as a sportive is not a bike race, with the added twist that parkrun publishes all results in time order and a list of "first finishers" each week. So it's even less not a race than a sportive.

Anyway - I should probably get my kit on and go and grind out another 2.5km. I'll probably be smiling for at least some of the time.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It's not a race in the same sense as a sportive is not a bike race, with the added twist that parkrun publishes all results in time order and a list of "first finishers" each week. So it's even less not a race than a sportive.

Anyway - I should probably get my kit on and go and grind out another 2.5km. I'll probably be smiling for at least some of the time.
Very disappointed to report that the only other person jogging who I passed didn't even break into a slight smile - perhaps I (overweight, wearing cheap jogging bottoms and a hoodie) wasn't a serious enough runner for him. But I got a smile and a wave from the mother and toddler who moved to the side of the pavement to let me past, the pair of women in sports kit a good 15 years older than me and with the sort of figures that speak to a lifetime of exercise and the family playing in the park.

Top Bottom