How often do you see a jogger smiling - ?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by simongt, 24 Mar 2018.

1. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Oohhh @smutchin , I very so nearly cheated in an audax last weekend.

I couldn’t get onto the 200 I wanted to do so settled for the 100 which left the départ an hour later. Obviously I got back to the Arrivée quicker than the riders on the longer route as I had only done half of what they had to grind out.

But the volunteer at the control didn’t know that, and seeing my ACB kit, was delighted and announced to the hall and anyone interested that I was the first rider back!

Oh how I basked in the false glory for 30 seconds before producing my brevet card.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  2. Ian H

Ian H Guru

It's an in-joke, done to death on another forum but still fresh and nearly funny here.

smutchin and Heltor Chasca like this.
  3. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

With 100 crossed out and 200 written in.

4. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Seems the wrong way round. If you are first back then you have come last / lost in the audax.

5. srw

srw It's a bit more complicated than that...

Another data point. As we walked around the streets this afternoon in full waterproofs looking glum and cold we passed a jogger in a waterproof top and shorts, who was positively grinning.

thom, Drago and Heltor Chasca like this.
  6. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

If you really want to suffer, try jogging. You'll be begging for Coldplay after half a mile.

Drago likes this.
  7. Seleucid

Seleucid Regular

Yeah, I was passed by the paperboy last weekend...I was on the way back too. Still didn't feel good...

Sharky and Slick like this.
  8. Drago

Drago Soiler of Y fronts

With every pace I'm getting leaner and sexier, and no matter what happens I'll never have to marry Gwyneth Paltrow.

9. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Phew, at least you will skip the inevitable Conscious Uncoupling! :laugh:

10. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Guru

They don't even smile when I suggest (while they sit in a queue) that they too could get home earlier if they gave up their cars and rode to work. You'd have thought they would have given me a cheery 'thanks' for the free advice.

11. thom

thom ____

Absolutely - if it isn't bitterly cold, a bit of rain can be quite welcoming and invigorating, especially during warm humid times.

Similarly, outdoors swimming in the rain brings an additional sense of proximity to the environment.

screenman likes this.
  12. bigjim

bigjim Guru

I love jogging. Brings a big smile to my face. Knee problem at the moment is keeping me away from it and I'm really missing my smiley miles.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  13. Plenty of smiley joggers on the TPT between Penistone and Dunford Bridge. Plenty of scowling peds resenting you for making them look for where their dog is. Overall very happy, even when it's like the M25 rush hour on a Sunday.

14. Milzy

Milzy Veteran

Running is for weirdos. Seriously though it’s not as fun as cycling but you can feel great afterwards.

15. Slow But Determined

Slow But Determined Well-Known Member

I smiled after my jog today, knocked a whole one second off my personal best over six miles. At 63 I am over the moon I can still run six miles whilst people a third of my age weigh in at 20 odd stone.
    Mind you I sometimes wonder who is the daft one, they are probably claiming they are unfit to work and in receipt of every benefit known to man while I who have looked after myself have to pay for everything.

Moodyman and Milzy like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice