How often do you see a jogger smiling - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
And you can't win by being back first.

Oohhh @smutchin , I very so nearly cheated in an audax last weekend.

I couldn’t get onto the 200 I wanted to do so settled for the 100 which left the départ an hour later. Obviously I got back to the Arrivée quicker than the riders on the longer route as I had only done half of what they had to grind out.

But the volunteer at the control didn’t know that, and seeing my ACB kit, was delighted and announced to the hall and anyone interested that I was the first rider back!

Oh how I basked in the false glory for 30 seconds before producing my brevet card.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I won an audax once. Every other audax I've ever done wasn't a race.
And you can't win by being back first.
It's an in-joke, done to death on another forum but still fresh and nearly funny here.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Another data point. As we walked around the streets this afternoon in full waterproofs looking glum and cold we passed a jogger in a waterproof top and shorts, who was positively grinning.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
With every pace I'm getting leaner and sexier, and no matter what happens I'll never have to marry Gwyneth Paltrow.
Phew, at least you will skip the inevitable Conscious Uncoupling! :laugh:

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
As an aside, albeit a topical one, we never see car drivers smiling. In fact, they're more likely to be foaming at the mouth that enjoying themselves, so why do they subject themselves to it?
They don't even smile when I suggest (while they sit in a queue) that they too could get home earlier if they gave up their cars and rode to work. You'd have thought they would have given me a cheery 'thanks' for the free advice.

thom

____
Another data point. As we walked around the streets this afternoon in full waterproofs looking glum and cold we passed a jogger in a waterproof top and shorts, who was positively grinning.
Absolutely - if it isn't bitterly cold, a bit of rain can be quite welcoming and invigorating, especially during warm humid times.

Similarly, outdoors swimming in the rain brings an additional sense of proximity to the environment.

Plenty of smiley joggers on the TPT between Penistone and Dunford Bridge. Plenty of scowling peds resenting you for making them look for where their dog is. Overall very happy, even when it's like the M25 rush hour on a Sunday.

Milzy

Guru
Running is for weirdos. Seriously though it’s not as fun as cycling but you can feel great afterwards.

I smiled after my jog today, knocked a whole one second off my personal best over six miles. At 63 I am over the moon I can still run six miles whilst people a third of my age weigh in at 20 odd stone.
Mind you I sometimes wonder who is the daft one, they are probably claiming they are unfit to work and in receipt of every benefit known to man while I who have looked after myself have to pay for everything.

Top Bottom