How often do you see a jogger smiling - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I always do the wave/greet/be friendly thing with joggers. Never have they even offered a grunt back. Miserable baskets.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I always do the wave/greet/be friendly thing with joggers. Never have they even offered a grunt back. Miserable baskets.

Running has got to be about the most mind-numbing human activity imaginable, with the added bonus of pounding your feet and joints for added pain & displeasure. I remember if we had cross-country running scheduled by the PE teacher at school, I used to just take a crafty shortcut to reduce the distance or even bunk off the lesson completely. It was a total waste of time and effort in my book, and I completely understand why joggers are almost always such a bunch of sour-faced buggers.

Venod

Eh up
Running has got to be about the most mind-numbing human activity imaginable,

If anybody is bored with running and I can see why just pounding the the streets is boring, get off road there is a lot of countryside out there and plenty of public footpaths, I have cycled all my life but my main sport was Orienteering (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering) if you get a chance give it a go, I still do bike orienteering.

screenman

Legendary Member
Let's face it cycling can also be very boring, but the benefits are sometimes worth it, same as running.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not a pleasurable experience, and I do it out of sufferance for fitness reasons, not because I get a lazy one going at the thought of it. That said, occasionally one does get mentally into a zone where ones body enters an autonomous rhyhm and ones mind drifts in idle on a lake of endorphins, and while it's not exactly nice I can see why some folk dig it.

As an elderly git who broke the six minute mile the other day (I'm aiming to do sub 5 ultimately) the feeling of achievement is no less gratifying than a roadie gets with a KoM on Strava.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Let's face it cycling can also be very boring, but the benefits are sometimes worth it, same as running.

I cannot say I've ever been bored whilst out riding a bike. I've sometimes been pretty hacked off, usually if I've got completely soaked in a sudden unexpected downpour, but I never regard riding a bike as a tedious chore. I think a lot of joggers/runners just go out to try and clock up a target mileage, even if they aren't in the mood. When I ride a bike I'm either doing it for a specific reason to get somewhere, of if I'm doing it for the physical activity aspect I just go out until my legs tell me enough is enough. I never ride to a mileage or average speed target.

With the pained expressions I see on some joggers faces, no contest - ! :rofl:
giphy.webp

Tommy2

Über Member
I have yet to get anything other than a funny look or blank expression from acknowledging a runner when I'm cycling or a cyclist when I'm running (I rarely acknowledge anyone when I'm swimming as they tend to want to chat at the end of the lane which isn't possible with such short recovery periods).

I guess it's because they don't see you as being part of their clan if you aren't training the same sport.
I have a little chuckle to myself if I know I either have or will be doing the same sport as them that day or (or straight after in a brick session) and wonder whether they would smile back if they saw me doing the same as them 5 mins later.

screenman

Legendary Member
I cannot say I've ever been bored whilst out riding a bike. I've sometimes been pretty hacked off, usually if I've got completely soaked in a sudden unexpected downpour, but I never regard riding a bike as a tedious chore. I think a lot of joggers/runners just go out to try and clock up a target mileage, even if they aren't in the mood. When I ride a bike I'm either doing it for a specific reason to get somewhere, of if I'm doing it for the physical activity aspect I just go out until my legs tell me enough is enough. I never ride to a mileage or average speed target.

Fine, that just goes to show we are not all the same.

Top Bottom