How safe are UPVC front doors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm MOE trained, able to gain entry very quickly to places very quickly where criminals would rather I didn't. The average UPVC is very vulnerable. Better ones have hooks that latch outwards from the side target then straight bolts. Alas, brute force isn't necessary on most and Euro type locks are easily defeated, and it can be done fairly quietly and discretely too.

https://security-hardware.co.uk/locksmiths-cylinder-snapper-bar-euro-oval-anc-9543

mustang1

Legendary Member
Someone told me that people spend a lot of money on expensive locks but forget to have secure hinges so if a thief thinks the locks are too strong, he just kicks the hinges.

Btw perhaps I should say he or she but I guess most burglars are of the former kind but idk for sure.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I fitted one internally in my workshop that i had removed from a job . I was gobsmacked when i saw it wide open with the locks still engaged after a break in . They must have had a shock when the alarms went off though :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It totally depends on the door and the locks installed, but also how they are installed. Early PVC and euro-locks were easy to get through, the later ones are much better as are proper steel reinforced doors and people are better at getting the right length lock too. I am confident that nobody is coming through my doors, however they could still come through a window. Like bike security, you need to be better than others nearby and face the truth that nothing is fully secure.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm MOE trained, able to gain entry very quickly to places very quickly where criminals would rather I didn't. The average UPVC is very vulnerable. Better ones have hooks that latch outwards from the side target then straight bolts. Alas, brute force isn't necessary on most and Euro type locks are easily defeated, and it can be done fairly quietly and discretely too.

https://security-hardware.co.uk/locksmiths-cylinder-snapper-bar-euro-oval-anc-9543

A little old bill tale for you.

Old customer, i went to school with his wife, x copper..
He was part of a raid on a house..
It was his renter.. So he talked the sarge into letting him speak to the tennant to save the door..

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
If you're looking to replace an external door look at the Police guidance on their 'Secured By Design' website... it's a minimum standard security standard. usually rated PAS 24. Any door manufacturer whose doors achieve that standard has researched and tested a series of security features which will be more reliable and more secure. + look at insulation rating- with an A energy rating with a maximum U-value of max 1.4 W/sqm.degC- the lower the better.

Archie_tect

Tend to be Mo... but anything can be smashed if someone really wants to get in, but it would take longer, they'd have to work harder and make more noise so less likely to try.

Archie_tect

BS standards, to ask suppliers about, for new external doors- if you're looking to replace yours soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 10.42.56.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 10.42.56.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 14

Cycleops

Legendary Member
We don't mess about with security down here. Every window has this wrought iron " burglar proofing " and our front doors are steel with bolts going through the top and bottom of each door, gun shot proof too.The lattice on the windows is so that they can't use a car scissors jack on the bars.
Still had stuff stolen though as petty thieves poke sticks through the windows to hook out mobile phones, and my shorts once to look for money, as we sleep with windows open due to the heat. Must get an electric fence.

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_102332.jpg
    IMG_20190718_102332.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 21

presta

Guru
My late father used to design windows and doors for Crittall. They used to hire an ex-burgler to test them, his tool of choice was a spade because there's one in every garden shed. IIRC the objective was resisting for a minimum time rather than stopping entry altogether.

Top Bottom