How selfish can one household be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was conducting some surveys of houses all over the South East of England, and became fascinated by how some people regarded "their parking space" outside their houses. It was a completely new phenomenon to me. One day, I parked the van on a very quiet residential street in Harpenden and went to work in the adjacent house. The road was narrow, but there were plenty of cars parked and there was still lots of room for vehicles to pass. Twenty minutes later, the householder called me down from the loft and asked me to move my van. The person who lived in the house opposite had just parked his car directly opposite my van, thereby blocking the road, even though he could have parked 10 yards down the road without causing a problem. "I'm sorry, but he does like to park outside his house" the person I was visiting told me.

Having moved the van and completed the job, I couldn't help scrawling a note and leaving it under his wiper blade, telling the sad git to get some kind of a life. It wasn't quite as polite as that though.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I took Mr R out on a call out a few years ago. Parked up behind the ambulance and police car to wait for him to do his thing.

Neighbour came storing out, effing and blinding, demanding that the ambulance move because it was in ‘his’ parking space... his car was on his driveway at the time.

:laugh: Some people are just Unbelievable

swansonj

Guru
Are the accounts of the council objecting to parked bicycles (and thereby discriminating against bicycles compared to cars) are to bicycles left on the pavement, not the carriageway?

Reactions: srw
My mother lives in a sheltered housing style culdesac. Although they're set away from the road the residents have their self appointed reserved space.
Being an innocent intruder I parked up to visit mum.
Within 5 minutes I had an old lady banging on my mother's door shaking with rage demanding I never park there again.
I was told how her husband couldn't walk and had survived cancer etc etc.
Her husband could walk very well, but quite frankly this is Rawmarsh where the next stage would be vandalism, so I just gave in.

Still, it beats her previous place in Kilnhurst where there's 5 cars to a house and they park half way across your drive to leave a space in their drive for the Audi.

My Mum lives near the local hospital and the streets around it are full of people avoiding the car park charges, she's lucky if she can park within quarter of a mile of her house, if I go to visit on my own, I normally go by bike because when you factor in traffic as well it takes about half the time (3 mile trip). I can be in the house drinking coffee with bike on yard while I'd still be driving round looking for a space to park.

There is talk of a multi storey car park for the hospital being built, but unless its free it's not going to help much.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
So what happens once they've pushed people onto using electric cars? Half mile extension cables? Toddlers getting throttled trying to negotiate a crystal maze of charging leads criss-crossing streets and pavements?

Rawmarsh the home of my late dad.11 St Marys Road.also before that Netherfield Lane.Are they still there.

As far as I can see all still there.
Northern Dairies was bulldozed years ago and replaced with housing, one of the streets being called Pasture Rise while it was being built.
My mum is near there. She went back there because she was born there, but it's not the place it used to be (I'll be polite).

postman

Legendary Member
but it's not the place it used to be (I'll be polite).

My dad has been dead since 1986,but he took me back many times to show me around.I remember him saying he wished he had not come back one particular visit.As you get older you see things in a different light.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
In my street one person sent out a letter door to door saying they wanted to go to permit parking to stop the commuters parking all day and to get a parking space at night. They were roasted by another door to door letter. The person who wanted permits got 8 out of 100 houses signed up... So basically 8 out of 100 were single car owners like me. My next door neighbour I get along with but they always seem to manage to get two cars outside their house they do use reserve parking. I get really, and I mean really excited on a Sunday when I see I can park outside their house as I know 99.9% of the time my car won't move again for 6/7 days as I cycle to work and I know how much it irritates them!! Only downside is that in the summer it gets covered in bird shite, but worth it!

I know it irritates them because if I do have ot go out in it during the week when I get back one of their cars is in that spot, seriously they get up and go and move their car.

I always do one sweep of the road when I use the car, if nothing there I park about 10 minute walk away. I have genuinely seen multiple people circling the road for the time its taken me to walk back sometimes even longer. One of my neighbours drives to the corner shop which is about 5 minute walk and gets her daughter to stand in the parking space!!

I find it fascinating and amusing...

Last edited:
Top Bottom