How selfish can one household be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I sympathise :hugs:
Opposite us is a 3 bed bungalow with mum and dad's car, plus sons car and works van.
Most evenings and weekends also daughters and her partners cars.
Quota has gone down recently as dad no longer has a company car :smile:
Also other neighbours across the road have started parking both their cars in the road, plenty of room in their driveway but possibly too much effort to rotate the cars around as required :scratch:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
feel your pain bro
download.jpg

So one car is ok, but 8 isn't. Where do you draw the line?

Anyway, why does anyone feel entitled to store their personal property - a car - on the street? While I have done this all my adult life, how did it get to be ok? What other property we allowed to store on public land?

Would it be ok if I was to pack winter clothes in a trunk, and leave it padlocked to a tree in the park during summer?**

**analogy curtesy of NYT 'serstwhile Ethicist, but I can't find the article online.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is the house in question becoming a HMO perhaps, being let to multiple occupants ?
It's a biggish problem round here and the result is often 2, 3 or 4 cars outside house. Not a big deal in itself but when you multiply the problem down the street...it starts getting silly, people parking on paths, grass, anywhere.

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran

Anyway, why does anyone feel entitled to store their personal property - a car - on the street? While I have done this all my adult life, how did it get to be ok? What other property we allowed to store on public land?

Would it be ok if I was to pack winter clothes in a trunk, and leave it padlocked to a tree in the park during summer?**

**analogy curtesy of NYT 'serstwhile Ethicist, but I can't find the article online.

Unfortunately with no front garden and only a small yard with no vehicle access at the back I have no choice.

vickster

Legendary Member

You can store your bike on public land on a bike stand. Ok you might not want to but it is permitted :smile:

Philanthropy of providing housing aside. Surely no household of able bodied adults needs 8 cars in a city?

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Is the house in question becoming a HMO perhaps, being let to multiple occupants ?
It's a biggish problem round here and the result is often 2, 3 or 4 cars outside house. Not a big deal in itself but when you multiply the problem down the street...it starts getting silly, people parking on paths, grass, anywhere.

no the family who have moved in were due to emigrate but have had issues were they were moving to, after they had sold their house, from what I can gather it could take 6 to 12 months to sort out.

Ha! Try parking your bikes on the street here in the UK, and even assuming they aren't nicked in 5 minutes, the council would soon be in touch saying you can't leave your bikes there.

The big problem is, as stated above, the concept of leaving a car on the street is however seen as a normal thing to do. That's how deeply embedded car use is in the UK.

Last edited:
You can store your bike on public land on a bike stand. Ok you might not want to but it is permitted :smile:
Seriously, not in my neighbourhood. A neighbour locked their Christiana bike to their fence and put the bike on the pavement, the council ordered them to store it on their property.

Another neighbour repeatedly complained about a single bicycle chained to a tree. Despite tens of millions of pounds of real estate taken by cars, this single bicycle drove them to harangue the council.

Top Bottom