How selfish can one household be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Yes. So you can park your car anywhere in the UK where there aren't specific laws to stop you,
Try parking your car on a beach.

The road is de facto also a carpark. I am less convinced that is a bad thing than some, and I'm trying to provoke a more considered debate than "all cars bad, all drivers selfish "

[QUOTE 4994246, member: 21629"]This thread reminded me one of my workmates.

He lives in a house with his family. He's got a job but he also trades used cars - buys a crap car, repairs it and drives it to Eastern Europe to sell it.
He normaly parks about 10 - 15 cars everywhere on the street as he's got no land property. And he always wonders why other neighbours are angry about his cars.[/QUOTE]

Insurance MOT and VED!
I bet most of them dont have them. Report it to DVLA

I was conducting some surveys of houses all over the South East of England, and became fascinated by how some people regarded "their parking space" outside their houses. It was a completely new phenomenon to me. One day, I parked the van on a very quiet residential street in Harpenden and went to work in the adjacent house. The road was narrow, but there were plenty of cars parked and there was still lots of room for vehicles to pass. Twenty minutes later, the householder called me down from the loft and asked me to move my van. The person who lived in the house opposite had just parked his car directly opposite my van, thereby blocking the road, even though he could have parked 10 yards down the road without causing a problem. "I'm sorry, but he does like to park outside his house" the person I was visiting told me.

Having moved the van and completed the job, I couldn't help scrawling a note and leaving it under his wiper blade, telling the sad git to get some kind of a life. It wasn't quite as polite as that though.
In Melbourne almost all houses are sold by auction, so you basically get every person who is considering buying the house (and many lookie-loos) gathered in the front garden on auction day. I went to an auction once where one of the people attending the auction parked outside the adjacent property. The man - the nearest neighbour of the property for sale - came out of that house and ranted at the person who was parking in "his spot" forcing them to move their car. Your basic ASBO level neighbour-from-hell.

No one bid on the property that day.

I get bloody annoyed where I live, we`ve all got drives (and garages) that will take 4-6 cars, and they still have to park in the road:banghead:

If anybody can fill me in on the logic behind that one I`d love to hear it!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Do any of you know the law regarding business premises using roadside parking to "store" their cars? There's a garage near here that parks their customers cars here there and everywhere before and after they've been serviced etc. As usual,parking places are much sought after. This garage leaves customers cars parked up overnight,sometimes for days. They even left one parked in the disabled bay for two days. It didn't have a blue badge on display. Sometimes these cars are very badly damaged. I'm assuming they're waiting for insurance repairs.

vickster

Legendary Member
I would assume if no parking restrictions and no obstruction, they can park. Parking in disabled bay, no badge, I'd report asap to council

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I would assume if no parking restrictions and no obstruction, they can park. Parking in disabled bay, no badge, I'd report asap to council
I'm assuming these badly damaged cars wont be taxed and insured as they aren't roadworthy,so they shouldn't be on the road? As for reporting the lack of blue badge, i've done that before but the council just say "we'll ticket them if one of our wardens see this"

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
doesn't mean they aren't taxed or insured because they are damaged, if you damaged your car today , it would still be insured etc if you put it in a garage for repair.
As i post there's a BMW parked up, with the front end completely smashed in. I was ticketed once,for having a smashed headlight. The copper told me that the car wasn't roadworthy and therefore shouldn't be on a public highway. I think the fellow who owns the garage is using the public highway as an extension of his business premises. I don't think that's allowed?

presta

Guru
My neighbour uses our shared drive as his own private builders yard, I couldn't get a car in and out if I had one. They park one of the cars straddling the pavement, blocking that too.

vickster

Legendary Member
As i post there's a BMW parked up, with the front end completely smashed in. I was ticketed once,for having a smashed headlight. The copper told me that the car wasn't roadworthy and therefore shouldn't be on a public highway. I think the fellow who owns the garage is using the public highway as an extension of his business premises. I don't think that's allowed?
Report to the council or your locally community beat copper?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I get bloody annoyed where I live, we`ve all got drives (and garages) that will take 4-6 cars, and they still have to park in the road:banghead:

If anybody can fill me in on the logic behind that one I`d love to hear it!
Because many drivers are selfish nobber twats who think they own the roads, and our legal framework, and local authorities, reinforce that mistaken view, maybe?
-or-
Because they can, and no one is prepared to take their "rights" to do so away?

Top Bottom