How Steep Is "Steep"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
Steep hills in Britain were originally seabed in a lot of cases...

Venod

Eh up
You can ride Gold Hill on your smart trainer, the new Tacx TDA app has a free film of it.

upload_2018-3-31_15-27-21.png

There's a horribly steep road called Jinny Lane that climbs up from the Clarion House at Nelson. Happily there's a defibrillator at the top!
Not that steep as I recall (am surprised at what is classed as steep on this thread) - the view from the garden of Clarion House is wonderful. A bus used to go up that lane until recently - chopped in one of the successive Lancashire bush culls.

Venod

Eh up

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's a horribly steep road called Jinny Lane that climbs up from the Clarion House at Nelson. Happily there's a defibrillator at the top!

Not that steep as I recall (am surprised at what is classed as steep on this thread) - the view from the garden of Clarion House is wonderful. A bus used to go up that lane until recently - chopped in one of the successive Lancashire bush culls.
Those posts led to some interesting Google results ... I know of a Clarion House on a hillside above Nelson but it isn't on Jinny Lane and the hill isn't super-steep either.

Clarion House Nelson.png

So I searched and found the one that you were both talking about. I think I have ridden down Jinny Lane, but never up it.

Jinny Lane Newchurch-in-Pendle.png

The ramp at the top averages 15% for 320 metres. It probably has sections nearer to 20%, so I would describe it as 'steep, but not super-steep'.

I'm sure that @classic33 won't mind a little diversion here ... :whistle:

The history of Clarion House ... Fascinating stuff! - I don't know how I had never read anything about it before. I will have to call in there on one of my forum rides - I know that @Littgull will be interested in joining me. It is a lovely area to cycle in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've gone up Rosedale a few times on a mountain bike with a 22 granny and 32 cassette and found it a killer. Wouldn't dare try it on 34 / 28.

Yes colin, the clarion house history is interesting. Jinny lane is on an around pendle route of mine, though i had to abandon it last time due to misbehaving gears on a bike build. Hope to do it this year. I was on a bus somewhere near burnley a few years ago and an old couple were off for a cup of tea there, no doubt planning to use the now axed bus. Do pause awhile in the garden if on the way up.
The whole area is steeped in cycling of course, clarion, sadly missed karrimor, carradice.
Back to steep or not so steep :smile: hills.

Last edited:
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes colin, the clarion house history is interesting. Jinny lane is on an around pendle route of mine, though i had to abandon it last time due to misbehaving gears on a bike build. Hope to do it this year. I was on a bus somewhere near burnley a few years ago and an old couple were off for a cup of tea there, no doubt planning to use the now axed bus. Do pause awhile in the garden if on the way up.
Back to steep on not so steep
:smile: hills.
Like the A58 from Littleborough upto Yorkshire.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Salterhebble Hill is steep, but I've seen plenty of cyclists tackling it - although more probably avoid it due to the crappy road layout and amount of traffic. Be interesting to see if the improvements make any change to that.

I'd rather cycle up Salterhebble than the nearby Trooper Lane or Shidben Wall...

https://cyclinguphill.com/trooper-lane/

I'm sure that this video has been posted before, but here we go anyway:

Last edited:
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Salterhebble Hill is steep, but I've seen plenty of cyclists tackling it - although more probably avoid it due to the crappy road layout and amount of traffic. Be interesting to see if the improvements make any change to that.

I'd rather cycle up Salterhebble than the nearby Trooper Lane or Shidben Wall...

https://cyclinguphill.com/trooper-lane/

I'm sure that this video has ben posted before, but here we go anyway:

Plan was for a blue Cyclists Dismount sign at the bottom.

Top Bottom