How to get maximum tension on front derailleur cable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lauris

The other day I noticed when I shifted into the last 2 biggest gears chain would rub against front derailleur.

I tried to tension it but made it worse.

What's the best way to do it achieve maximum tension.
Step by step guide would be nice.

Thanks

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Once you have the cable clamped as well as possible increase the tension via the barrel adjuster.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Check that it is actually a tension issue and not a limit screw issue or alignment problem. If you have checked those, then put the chain on the big ring, drop the shifter to the small ring (but don't pedal), that will give you plenty of slack in order to adjust the tension.

OP
OP
L

Lauris

What happened was, everything was fine as long as I didn't shift into to largest gears.
So today I untightened the gear cable to try and put more tension.
But as I tightened the bolt it appeared that the cable got shorter than before:laugh::laugh::laugh:
And I can't increase the tension, meaning-making it worse than before.
So I am asking if I could possibly put it into certain gear or something to give that extra tension.

boydj

Legendary Member
When I need to recable the front mech, with the chain on the small ring, I hold the cable as tight as possible with pliers in one hand and tighten the pinch bolt with the other. My 105 kit does not have an adjustment for the front mech, but I've always been able to get the front shifting without too much trouble - though the triple is a bit trickier because if it is too tight the middle ring can be hard to catch on the way down from the big ring.

Mike_P

Guru
Also tighten the barrel adjuster fully, some guides advise halfway but that's only if you manage to overtighten the cable initially. Normally no matter how tight the cable is pulled it still has a bit of slack and the full range of the barrel adjuster is useful to play with. I find it helps to have the bike upside down and foot on the underside of the saddle (or as well as it can be) when tugging on the cable with pliers.

First I get the chain on the small chainring and make sure the cable is as slack as it will go. I then tighten the barrel adjuster all the way in and then unscrew 1- 1/2 turns. I then pull the cable with pliers and as I do so I push the FD in about 5mm by thumb. At this point I let go of the cable with the pliers and then tighten cable in the clamp. If I need to take up any more slack I use the barrel adjuster. It may need a couple of attempts but always gets me there.

Top Bottom