How well known is cyclechat outside of the cyclechat community?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I go to yacf for audax info.

YACF is the de facto first choice for online discussion of audax matters - not least because several of the AUK committee and some very experienced audaxers are members. It's much more useful as a source of info than the official AUK forum.

The quality of discussion on pro racing is much better here though.

I'd never heard of wheelsuckers.cc before seeing that list... Just had a look at it and I'm immediately put off by the horrible interface.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That response is a perfect example of the pettiness he describes.
He also mentions the following that he would like from a forum;

"not being a bunch of racist daily mail readers would also be good
biggrin.png
"

Which puts meta's statement that;
He left CC as most do after they realize its very left biased..and nasty,
in a slightly different light, maybe his buddy is one of the "racist daily mail readers" and didn't like being challenged and that's why he left?

Venod

Eh up
So does this mean that cycling clubs still hold the key for access to organised group riding?

My club with a lot of members upset a lot of people last year, with the effect that membership is now down on last years numbers.

We have regular Saturday morning rides of different distances and speeds to accommodate all members there are 4 routes done in rotation weekly, I for one am not a fan of these routes as they are roads I ride a lot anyway.

A few members started posting alternative Saturday rides on the club facebook group, these were popular with riders, but non members were riding, this was OK with everybody on the ride, but the club officials sad it was wrong, if posted on a club facebook group they said it was only open to club members as this would cause problems with BCF insurance if there was an accident/incident, so they banned members posting alternative rides, this to me seemed wrong, all we are doing is trying to enjoy riding our bikes and who gives a thought to BCF when heading out the door.

The result was several good members left the club.
A Strava group was created called Cycling Not Politics where people post rides.
Rides are also organised through friends on Facebook.

All because BCF advised that non members shouldn't be allowed on rides advertised in a BCF affiliated club Facebook Club page.

The very restrictive swear filter on here would crash if was to type what I thought of BCF and the club officials who worship it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't blame me - I was trying to perform an exorcism.

View attachment 416568

Brilliant! Just inhaled half a can of Pepsi Max laughing at That!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm going with the general consensus of not very well known - judged on my experience.

CycleChat is relatively small, most new threads attract 20 or 30 replies and a hundred or two views before interest wanes.

As a comparison, I see that lass who posted the horse vid on Facebook has had 5.5m views and, I think, tens of thousands of comments.

The difference is night and day, and I'm guessing those sort of numbers while high even for Facebook, will be repeated from time to time.

One could argue about the pervading political ethos of CycleChat, it seems to me the response from the regulars to any given topic is wearisomely predictable.

But what puts new browsers off joining and staying is the cretinous spats that pervade so many threads.

It's bordering on embarrassing that we cannot discuss helmets in a straightforward and open manner.

I'm bound to remember my threads more than others, and my car service thread was one of the busiest we've had recently.

Someone threw a tantrum in that, nothing to do with politics or religion, it was over the weighty matter of the price of a radial.

Anyone reading that thread is not going to want to associate themselves with us.

CycleChat does appear to be robust in that there is a hard core of regular posters, which itself is bound to be evolving.

But the persistent niggling all over the boards effectively caps numbers.

I'm going with the general consensus of not very well known - judged on my experience.

CycleChat is relatively small, most new threads attract 20 or 30 replies and a hundred or two views before interest wanes.

As a comparison, I see that lass who posted the horse vid on Facebook has had 5.5m views and, I think, tens of thousands of comments.

The difference is night and day, and I'm guessing those sort of numbers while high even for Facebook, will be repeated from time to time.

One could argue about the pervading political ethos of CycleChat, it seems to me the response from the regulars to any given topic is wearisomely predictable.

But what puts new browsers off joining and staying is the cretinous spats that pervade so many threads.

It's bordering on embarrassing that we cannot discuss helmets in a straightforward and open manner.

I'm bound to remember my threads more than others, and my car service thread was one of the busiest we've had recently.

Someone threw a tantrum in that, nothing to do with politics or religion, it was over the weighty matter of the price of a radial.

Anyone reading that thread is not going to want to associate themselves with us.

CycleChat does appear to be robust in that there is a hard core of regular posters, which itself is bound to be evolving.

Well said.

I don't respond to many threads as I can predict the result, or I don't want to be labelled.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

What do you think could be done about that, a change of direction, a change of moderation style. How's it been going over the road with your style of management, rocking?

Top Bottom