how would you react?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Erm, making oneself highly visible would be my guess? Do I win a prize? Please let it not be something in hi viz...

classic33

Leg End Member
To be effective HV clothing should be of a colour that will allow the wearer to stand out against the ambient background found in the working environment. In practice the best colours for this purpose are likely to be day-glo, or fluorescent yellow. Where necessary the clothing should also incorporate retroreflective material to make the wearer visible when seen in headlights in poor lighting conditions or during darkness.
I've worn dark red, red, fire orange, green, signal green, aurora pink & Saturn yellow. What the drivers found easiest to see was the contrasting colours

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You missed the first question, which is
Who is advocating compulsory high visibility clothing ?

Your very first post in this thread “Nevertheless, I think high visibility clothing is a must for cyclists, and black is not a good idea.”

You posted this including a tale about a bright sunny day and the fact you were wearing high vis when you were nearly hit. A bright sunny day along the coast of Cannes would be one of the worst place ps for high vis to be seen, it would get lost in the sun. You would have been far better off wearing black.

User66445

Your very first post in this thread “Nevertheless, I think high visibility clothing is a must for cyclists, and black is not a good idea.”

You posted this including a tale about a bright sunny day and the fact you were wearing high vis when you were nearly hit. A bright sunny day along the coast of Cannes would be one of the worst place ps for high vis to be seen, it would get lost in the sun. You would have been far better off wearing black.
Wrong on every level - you seem to have some problems here, not just with comprehension. Hint: the clue is in the expression.

Have you ever been to Cannes, or, more significantly, crossed the road there? The man was crossing the road from the beach side towards a background of a green park, cafés and a grey coloured hotel, nicely matching the road I was cycling on. Black would have been a stupid colour to wear at any level, unless you enjoy getting really hot.

I was not nearly hit, by the way, I nearly hit someone.

By the way, to my knowledge the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. This was late summer, so have a think where the sun would be at that time. I’m assuming you know the topography of Cannes near the quay where the boats from the cruise ships come in. Mind you, I did get a chuckle from your lost in the sun comment, you couldn’t be more wrong :smile:

Last edited:
Have you ever been to Cannes, or, more significantly, crossed the road there? The man was crossing the road from the beach side towards a background of a green park, cafés and a grey coloured hotel, nicely matching the road I was cycling on. Black would have been a stupid colour to wear at any level, unless you enjoy getting really hot.
I rode pretty much the entire length of the French Riviera and I never at any point came close to hitting anyone who stepped out in front of me regardless of what they were wearing and the only times I was nearly taken out by someone else was a dangerously impatient coach driver in Sète, a twot on a moped overtaking me on a blind corner, and the horrendous narrow eastbound road that leads out of Monaco which nearly killed me through sheer terror.

As an aside, research suggests that contrast combined with motion that our reptilian brains interpret as biomechanical (e.g. a strip on your shorts/socks/shoes moving up and down as a result of pedalling) makes one far more conspicuous than any stationary (relative to the observer) item of fluorescent clothing.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
When alighting at a cafe stop of a weekend, I find myself talking by choice to people / cyclists dressed in regular visibility clothing. Dayglo seems to affect the wearer’s capacity to keep me remotely interested in what they are saying. Maybe the glare hurts my ears?
Motons have this same problem. The clothing gives the wearer this sense of authority - look at me, I’m special, it’s saying. Be careful round me.
For what it’s worth - probably very little, since tribes will believe what they believe - my old Dad taught me to ride a bike, and he drummed into me the benefit of craning your neck round in traffic to glare at the opposition. Motons seem to give me more room because I turn a lot before any manoeuvre, do a few fake wobbles and make sure they can see me. Or so I believe.
Contrast colour is useful in work safety. I worked in forestry contracting for years, and without bright hard hats, the next feller would be invisible. That’s my reasoning for spending a fortune on jaunty cycling gear, although I stop short at pink hoops.

Top Bottom