Hunt wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I looked into Hunt and others and nearly bought a pair, then i stumbled upon Light Bicycle and plenty of good supporting data and happy users so went ahead and ordered. About half the price of the European marketed versions coming out of the same factory... (i benefited from a Christmas deal which made then even cheaper) and paid just over £500 for 56mm deep aero hoops with DT Swiss hubs, built to my spec, even with custom decals on them. Ridden about 3,000km on them so far and very happy with them (i suppose i would say that;)) after all how many of us criticise our own purchasing decisions ?

Great company to deal with, very supportive sales process and totally custom made to my spec (custom made = from a chosen menu). On the downside they are of course a long way away in case you need spares or support from them but from what i have read they have been many examples of great after sales support.

In the end you pay your money and take your chances to some degree. Me i was never going to part with £1,500 - £2,000 for deep section carbon hoops from a high end brand. It was either 2nd hand, lower spec or something else and this option was to me a great "something else"

Having said that i have since met several people that are very happy with and love their Hunts, local brand, great local support etc but i guess you have to pay something for that.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have a pair of Hunt 4 season gravel discs IRC they cost £300, I am very happy with them, I have had nothing similar to compare them with, they look good, roll well and do the job, when they turned up, one wheel had the adapter to fit Q release skewer instead of 12 mm thru axle, email sent, required adapter sent by return postage, they came with spare spokes (2), a spoke key and adapters for fitting 6 hole discs to centre lock.

Happy after a couple of thousand miles

Globalti

Legendary Member
I’m sure they may be although from what I read plenty may disagree. What is for sure is they are a marketing masterpiece and overpriced IMO.
Well I disagree, at £399 they seem like excellent value to me. Better than the standard wheels that came on the bike anyway.

Most of our bikes are made in Taiwan or China, branded and sold at a profit. It's naive to think otherwise.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
tbh Merida is branded as designed in Germany, made in Taiwan, but like Globalti said many of the worlds frames come from Taiwan, Merida have a huge stake in Trek I think it’s a big brand anyway.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does anyone on the forums have a set? If so thoughts on them please?

My Team Vision 35’s are getting a little tired they have a little more life in them but having a replacement ready is in the cards.

I was looking at the rim break 31 deep 24 wide wheels from Hunt.

I’m a little concerned about the wide, how do I know they will fit? And my preferred tyres are the P-Zero Velo, they have given me no grief to date.

I’m running 105 7000 callipers and the Visions are 35 deep and 22 wide.
Had a set of Hunt Gravel 4 Season disc wheels never lasted a year. Axles bearings wore out quickly , spokes went out of tension as well probably exacerbated things. Spend a bit more on hand built if you can ?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Absolutely every wheel brand on the planet, like every other manufacturer in every industry, does not, not, manufacture everything in house. And most, again like in most industries, have exactly the same choice of parts from exactly the same selection of suppliers. Doing so is often seen as a positive thing to spin- Chris King or DT Swiss hubs, for example. Doesn't matter if it's CarbonSports (Lightweight), Reynolds, Zipp, AN Other Firm Having Wheels Made In A Taiwan Factory, or a Bloke In A Shed. If Bloke In A Shed makes a wheelset from the same parts as Factory In Taiwan, he may or may not build them better. One would hope better given the fact he'll be turning out rather fewer of them at a probably higher price or lower margin. Happy to buy it from him? Good for you. No need to be offensively dismissive of anyone who goes for a big brand instead.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Yup I asked for opinions.

I’m interested in the cycle clinic wheels, I have asked if regular folders, clinchers are ok I’m not a tubeless fan at the moment.

I like the fact that hubs seem quite serviceable on them, I have no idea how noises those are, then again I had some hope hub on a hybrid before and I loved the noise those made.

I still like the look of the Hunts, I’m just exploring all avenues.

Also seeing what I can sell to get the cash faster I released I have my old 5800 group set I could flog.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I once visited a massive TV factory in a town called Jaszbereny in Hungary. Can't remember the brands they made but it was something like Panasonic, Technics, Samsung and one other. I asked the factory manager which one was best and he replied that there's hardly any difference, they are all made with the same components, just styled differently. I challenged him to pick the best and he said he liked the Samsung stuff.

wajc

Veteran
Yup I asked for opinions.

I’m interested in the cycle clinic wheels, I have asked if regular folders, clinchers are ok I’m not a tubeless fan at the moment.

I like the fact that hubs seem quite serviceable on them, I have no idea how noises those are, then again I had some hope hub on a hybrid before and I loved the noise those made.

I still like the look of the Hunts, I’m just exploring all avenues.

Also seeing what I can sell to get the cash faster I released I have my old 5800 group set I could flog.

I believe that the Borg 31 wheelset use the kinlin xr31t rim

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/borg-31-wheels

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/kinlin-xr31t-rim

If you compare the descriptions they sound the same as the rims used buy Hunt on this wheelset and I've heard elsewhere that they use Kinlin rims.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...o-superdura-road-wheelset-1595g-31deep-24wide

Another option for you is DCR wheels who is based in East Sussex (he has a very good reputation) - and can't be far from you

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/

He built me a wheelset using the Kinlin xr31t rims 4 years ago - after 12,000km of riding they run as well and are as true as the day I received them (as far as I can tell anyway).

I can confirm that they can be run with tubes as well as this is what I do.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have had my Hunt Dynamo wheels for about 3 years. I have ridden 1000s of kms on them and thrashed them over some awful terrain. They are still as good as the day I bought them. You get great customer service from Hunt.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I believe that the Borg 31 wheelset use the kinlin xr31t rim

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/wheels/borg-31-wheels

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/products/kinlin-xr31t-rim

If you compare the descriptions they sound the same as the rims used buy Hunt on this wheelset and I've heard elsewhere that they use Kinlin rims.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...o-superdura-road-wheelset-1595g-31deep-24wide

Another option for you is DCR wheels who is based in East Sussex (he has a very good reputation) - and can't be far from you

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheelsets/which-rim/

He built me a wheelset using the Kinlin xr31t rims 4 years ago - after 12,000km of riding they run as well and are as true as the day I received them (as far as I can tell anyway).

I can confirm that they can be run with tubes as well as this is what I do.

oh man the DCR AForce set looks fantastic! but I think overkill for me!

I'm kinda torn at the moment, I love the Borg31 they're lighter than my Vision's and they're not covered in decals, but the DCR standard road wheel set comes in as a little more expensive but way lighter.

I have sometime to think, I think I'm gonna dig my old 105 5800 groupset out and sell it to try and help fund this too as all it will do is gather dust in the garage otherwise.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I have had my Hunt Dynamo wheels for about 3 years. I have ridden 1000s of kms on them and thrashed them over some awful terrain. They are still as good as the day I bought them. You get great customer service from Hunt.
Yes they do keep saying sorry when they cannot supply the spare parts you need, because they dont have the bits you need.:wacko:

Top Bottom