Hunt wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm correct in thinking the Hunts are sealed hubs? like the cup and cones in my current wheels.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
I've got a pair of the 4 season gravel discs as they came with a bike I bought. They seem alright. Only had one problem when the free hub stopped engaging. Some new grease and it was fine again. Never had to true them though or even touch a spoke.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I had both DCR and Borg reply to me now, DCR literially almost a stones throw from my house!

I must say I'm learning more to the Borg wheel, I know it's heavier, but it looks more aero, so I'm being a tad vain with going by looks.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I'm also a saddo trying to judge what I want from a spreadsheet! haha

I'm still leaning more for the Borg31, the DCR standard weight I like but I know it sounds dumb I would prefer the look of an aero wheel.

The DCR Aforce look amazing, but for my bike total overkill but it would look nice! and probably roll a tad better! haha

The Hunt hubs I'm assuming they are closed hubs like my Visions are cup and cone so not really a serviceable part?

Last edited:

Domdom1980

I've got Hunt alloy wheels and I find them excellent. Hear a lot of negative views on Hunts in general, but more than happy with mine for what I paid.

Having said that, Malcom @ cycle clinic was very helpful when I enquired about some of his wheels, and I've never seen anything bad said about them

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
I've got Hunt alloy wheels and I find them excellent. Hear a lot of negative views on Hunts in general, but more than happy with mine for what I paid.

Having said that, Malcom @ cycle clinic was very helpful when I enquired about some of his wheels, and I've never seen anything bad said about them

Yes he has replied to all of my probably utterly stupid questions, my Visions I got from a store they looked nice and I wanted something aero-ish it was a way easier choice, when you start actually looking around at what's on offer it can be a little scary and I want to make a good choice.

My main gripe with the Visions is the hub is not really serviceable, and the bearings are starting to sound a little rough, the wheels are strong which I will never fault them on, they have ridden through 3 winters and taken a complete pasting, they look and sound tired.

I mean really if I was being smart I should go for the standard DCR wheels, they're a little more expensive, but way lighter which if I'm honest about I'm a little worried with the current state of the roads, but also having lighter wheels regardless of the looks makes sense, but this won't be a winter used wheel.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Which rims etc does DCR use on his std road wheelset?

I think it's their own rim or something re-branded:

The DCR 23mm alloy rim and Sapim CX-Ray spoke upgrade is the obvious choice to reduce weight, improve ride quality and retain a high level of lateral stiffness. Unlike the Kinlin rim you now have a welded joint, extra tough spoke bed, lower weight and nice matt finish owing to a shot blasting and anodising treatment (anodised internally and externally), they have a rider weight limit of 120kg and a spoke bed that has been tested to 300kgf. The rim is slightly narrower and shallower than the Kinlin but is still remarkably stiff owing to its clever shape. They work very well with 23/25/28c tyres but wider tyres can be fitted as well. The sidewall is machined silver, so it remains a consistent finish throughout its life. The shape is a modern aero rounded profile. There is a bead locking system and 1.2mm hook for compatible with all road tubeless and tubeless ready road tyres. A deeper central channel ensures easier installation and removal of tyres.

That's from the website.

Top Bottom