Hybrid not as comfortable as I thought- now what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbaby

Hi,

I'm new to cycling. My children have reached an age where they can cycle unaided and so for the first time since a child I decided to give cycling a go. After some research I bought myself a cheap hybrid bike. Mainly because it could be a fad and the bike left in the garage.

This is the one I got http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3177088.htm

I used it yesterday for the first time. It was slower than I had imagined and peddling it seemed an effort compared to an older mountain bike I had used initially.

I only cycled on the road and some pavements but when going over any bumps on the pavements I could feel the bumps hitting the wheel rim.

What am I doing wrong or what can I add to the bike to make it a better ride?
Thanks

MikeW-71

Veteran
Sounds straight away like your tyre pressures are way too low. You should be looking for 70psi or more depending on tyre size.

moonjiver

Hi, I am no expert (hopefully some of those will reply to you) but here are my experiences. I've spent over a year trying to upgrade from old drop-handle bar bikes that I cycled for years to something more modern. The MTB's and hybrids with their sturdier frames and thicker wheels are much better suited to the potholed roads, also to tracks and paths. But I've discovered that "hybrids" can mean very different things! Some are close to MTB's, chunky and heavy still, some are slimmer, slightly longer more comfortable frames - I find MTB's too cramped for my 6ft height. And the "ride" varies a lot, you really need to try several and find what is comfortable for your size, height etc. At the moment I am considering a Carrera Subway - besides being a popular model, for some reason the geometry of it seems to suit me, I found it beautifully comfortable and I was racing around on it. And it's comparatively light - seems to me if the bike is too heavy, a lot of your energy is going into just shifting the thing! Well, my views aren't very scientific but they may help ..

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, sounds like the tyre pressures need upping. It also weighs nearly 17 kilos so is going to be a bit of an effort to pedal, one of the downside to buying cheap.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds straight away like your tyre pressures are way too low. You should be looking for 70psi or more depending on tyre size.
Yep, get a track pump and get those tyres hard

What gear were you using for the pedalling? 17kg means it's quite a heavy bike but unless going up hills, it should move quite easily. It has 18 gears - how many rings are there at the front by the pedals, on the flat, if 3 rings, the middle is the place to be, if 2 rings, the larger one (move between on the left hand side). Then you'll want to be on the middle rings at the back (shift between them on the right hand side)

:welcome: to Kbaby.

Sorry to hear you're experiencing these problems.

The bike you've got is going to be heavy as it has a steel frame, and at that price point it will about the heaviest tubing available TBH.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing, as it will get you fit if you get used to it ;)

As MikeW-71 said, check your tyre pressures, they are quoted on the side walls of the tyres, and if need be like vickster said, get yourself a TRACK PUMP to enable easy inflation to the correct pressure.

Also have a look at THIS site about bike fit. It's essential the bike is correctly fitted, it ensures comfort and can also prevent injury as well :thumbsup:

If all else fails then the Carrera Subway moonjiver mentioned is indeed a very well regarded bike.

Good luck :thumbsup:

moonjiver

P.S. In a roundabout way, I was saying that, if you are feeling the bumps, then maybe it's not just a matter of tyre-width or pressures. Maybe that bike is not quite comfortable enough for you. But the thicker tyres should be helping .. on my old Claud Butler I felt every tiny bump and ridge on a tarmac surface, the modern hybrids I've tried often seemed like cushions by comparison!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
P.S. If you intend to buy a pump buy something called a Track Pump which will be easier to reach the higher pressures needed. If you get a small cheap pump you will struggle to get enough air in.

vickster

Legendary Member
Steel frame although heavy should in theory be more comfortable than a cheap alloy frame

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
It's a false economy to buy a cheap No- Name bike from a catalogue. About the only thing it will have in common with
a proper bicycle is 2 wheels.

vickster

Legendary Member
The bike is a Raleigh apparently - so although they are not the company they were, not a complete BSO

fossala

Guru
The bike you've got is going to be heavy as it has a steel frame
Any cheap frame is going to be heavy, you can build a 6-7kg steel bike with fair amount of ease if you start with the correct frame.

I know that you know this, but saying to someone that isn't as knowlageable about bike may lead them to not looking at steel as an option in the future.

Any cheap frame is going to be heavy, you can build a 6-7kg steel bike with fair amount of ease if you start with the correct frame.

I know that you know this, but saying to someone that isn't as knowledgeable about bike may lead them to not looking at steel as an option in the future.

Fair point well put :thumbsup:

As a believer in steel I don't know why I didn't think of that :wacko:

Steel is real* :becool:

*just not pig iron!:stop:

OP
OP
K

Kbaby

Thanks everyone. I liked the Pendleton somerby, Dawes or the pashley style bikes but didn't want to pay so much because I'm only using it for short cycle rides with the children hence buying this one because of the look opposed to specification.

I have ordered a pump with indicator to check the tyres etc. I've also had a look at the gears as suggested. The one by the pedal is on the smallest of three and the back is on the smallest too. It has a retro shift friction thing on the left side but the manual ddnt explain what it was for and google didn't help much either.

I've also checked my fitting from the above link and my leg when the peddle is at the lowest setting is at a ten past three position on a clock. So not straight but has a bend in the knee.
I felt when riding the bike it was a lot of effort considering I was on a flat road with most of the energy being used by the very top of my thigh.

left twist grip is for front cogs. small = low gear, used for hills. Pottering with kids usually I find middle one is fine.
right grip twist is back cogs. small = top gear
best avoid small front / small back as it stretches the chain funny angle.

Put seat up ! try couple of cm to see how it feels.

If tyres have same valve as a car then borrow a foot pump or better still a car compressor. Tyre pressure will be written on tyre wall.

Hope this helps !

:bicycle:

Top Bottom