I almost hit a child today & it's shaken me up (video). I Think I'll drive to work tomorrow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Don't beat yourself up you avoided the kid and kept it all friendly,
Personally I try not to use paths like that unless bimbling along slowly .
Ride to work tomorrow, the sooner you ride again the quicker you get your confidence back.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ouch, that was a bit too close!

You said it yourself - you were going too fast really, but I'm sure you will be more cautious next time..

I regard all pedestrians (not just children) as being like sheep, rabbits, dogs or any other predictably unpredictable creature - if there is some way of them getting under your front wheel, they will try to!

PK99

Legendary Member
I was on a cycle path witch I won't use again, Child on scooter coming towards me. I thought he saw me as his dad called to him and another cyclist had just passed them. child turns right into my line of travel about 3 meters ahead of me. :sad: I walked most the way home after that.
I think I will leave the bike at home for a few days.

Its the Easter Holidays!
I was out on a 25 mile towpath and park pootle round Hampton court and back, there must have been at least 20 occasions when mum/kid/gran/grandad/dog(s)/dodleads wandered randomly across my path - good job i was in pootle mode!

Reactions: _aD
Reflection is important, but you have to be two people.......

Look at the video and learn what you can from it

Now look at the video as another (detached) person

As above, there was fault, but also good responses and the outcome was acceptable

Before resorting to the car, asjk yourself whether the outcome would have been the same if the kid had come out in front ofthe car?

buggi

Bird Saviour
Whoa!! You live and learn. No harm done and you've now learned kids are as unpredictable as dogs. Could also of happened if you was in your car so a lesson to us all, whether driving or cycling, slow down when we see kids in case they come off their designated area. You'll automatically be more wary in future so don't beat yourself up.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
You handled that really well, first off you avoided hitting the child, so you had the foresight to anticipate something might happen, second you kept it really friendly, thirdly I'm sure you and the child both learned something from this.
Sure it might have shaken you up a little, but to stay off the bike?, you should applaud yourself, as many others would have been aggressive and handled the situation totally differently.
Try cycling along the Quayside here in Newcastle at lunch time, like lemmings they are :smile:

Norm

Top Bottom