I beg your indulgence for a few minutes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
My wife, is signed up to run this years London Marathon in aid of Cancer Research. She's never been a runner so this all a new experience for her. Three years ago her father died aged 64 after a six month illness with a brain tumor and last April our friend, my oldest friend died aged 54 after short battle with cancer so she's running in thier memory.

This is her website.www.nettiethdog.net

This is her just giving site. http://www.justgiving.com/JanePittMarathon

If you can spare a couple of quid to encourage her along we would be both very grateful. (£2 is the minimum just giving donation)

I do understand if you don't want to give, we all get a bit "charity'd out" don't we, and of course you don't know us from Adam, we won't be offended, however we all know people who have affected by this horrible disease and giving a bit of money is the only way most of us can do anything about having a chance of getting rid of cancer.

This is her email update from Sunday

Hi,

Today I reached the milestone of being halfway through my Marathon training plan, so I thought I would let everyone know where I am and that I'm still going (despite the somewhat challenging weather we've had this year).

My training plan is 18 weeks long and today is the end of week 9. Here are some stats so far:

- I have run 307.84 miles since the start of the plan. If I had left home and kept running north, I would be at Selkirk now.
- My longest run has been 19 miles, which I completed today in 3:02. This was slower than I would have liked but I sustained some nasty blisters on my 10 mile run yesterday which were keen to accompany me on my run today. Three hours of aggravating blisters is no-one's idea of fun. The lesson here, buy better socks!
- My earliest run was four miles starting at 04:57am, necessary to due a conference in London. I still met a dog-walker, mind you.
- My fastest run was four miles at an average pace of 7:58 per mile. I will definitely not be running the marathon at that pace.
- I have done three runs in heavy rain, two in heavy snow and one 14 mile run up and down the only stretch of village road which wasn't covered in hard-packed ice. This was a mile long, so I ran up and down it 14 times. I got some very funny looks, I can tell you.

I have so far raised £592, infinite thanks to those who have donated already and those who have promised that they will. I want everyone to know that the donations make a very real difference to me and my motivation. When I am cold, wet and tired, when my feet are little bundles of pain, when I really really don't want to get up in the dark and go out in the cold and run more chuffing miles, believe me, what keeps me going is the support of my friends, family and colleagues. People have been incredibly generous and, let's face it, there's not much in it for you, is there? But it makes an absolutely tangible to difference to me and it's important to me that everyone knows that. Every donation, any amount, helps keep me going.

I often think of my dad when I am running and I wish he was around to talk to about it. He did several marathons and I wonder if he went through the same as me during his training. I was too young to pay much attention but I would love to know if he struggled with the same things I struggle with, went through the same high and low points, the days when it is sunny and you are running fast and loving every second of it and the days when you are tired, cold and hurting and wondering why on earth you ever thought this was a good idea. I wonder if he felt that he was getting stronger and faster with every run, or cursed the training for the numerous small pains and inconveniences that it inflicts on you. However, it is too late to ask and I so will never know, and all I can do is wish I had done this before cancer took him, and hope that I can help someone else not lose their dad to it.

In the next few weeks I have the Silverstone Half Marathon coming up, plus my long runs reach 20 miles. I have three of those to complete, including two at the end of sadistic 50-mile weeks. They are going to need to involve an awful lot of cake - at least there is one advantage to this training . Hopefully the weather will start to improve now too.

Many thanks for all of your support, my JustGiving page is here: http://www.justgiving.co.uk/JanePittMarathon. Please forward this to anyone else you know who might support the worthy cause of helping the fight against cancer.

Cheers,

Jane

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thankyou Mort, that was very very generous of you, and it is very much appreciated.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Mr R Mountain. You are a top chap and no mistake. I hope all all your strawberries are red and plump, and your wheels never become Pringles shaped.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@hotfuzzrj You truly are super dooper, my wife has asked me to extol upon you her gratitude. I for my part am grateful beyond words at your generosity, so much so that the next time I am in a que I shall wait patiently and shall not grumble at all, in your honour.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
And T Yred esquire, I would like to shower you with good wishes upon you, yours and all about you, and I insist that have an excellent summer, in fact from now on all your summers shall be smashing.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Is there someone here called brandane? I can't find him/ her on the list, if you here very many thanks. You are a smasher of the highest order. Arise Sir Smasher Brandane.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Is there someone here called brandane? I can't find him/ her on the list, if you here very many thanks. You are a smasher of the highest order. Arise Sir Smasher Brandane.

Aye; 'tis me. I have arisen :thumbsup:. Good cause, so best of luck to MrsP with the run and the fund raising :smile:.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Aye; 'tis me. I have arisen :thumbsup:. Good cause, so best of luck to MrsP with the run and the fund raising :smile:.

Ahh! Gawd bless ya 'eart n sole 'n luv ya 'n squeeze ya little cotton socks.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I would like to add that another CC member has stepped up to the plate and made a very generous donation. My cockles are being warmed by the kindness of CCers.

I think it would be fair to say that without a single shadow of a doubly doubt and without any fear of contraception Spinney is a fine figure of a fellow, and I will fight to the death armed only with half a lettuce anyone who dares say otherwise.

Thank you Spinney.

I will certainly put up some photos of Jane crossing the line on the day. I do have some video of her training runs in the snow, when I get it uploaded I will post here for your viewing pleasure.

Edit: it has been brought to my attention that Spinney maybe of the female persuasion, I'm not certain, but that doesn't make them a bad person.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Oilyormo, if Carlsberg made diamonds, they would be the very visible personification of you, you would shine brightly lighting up everything in your presence, there would be no darkness when you entered a room. Your brightness would be so great that if you walked into a cinema people would not be able to see the screen, but they wouldn't mind because they would know at once it was you, and what an abslute diamond of a person you are.

Thank you.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Update:

As I type, sitting here in the warm with a cup of Earl Grey tea and some toast, Jane is currently running her first 20 miler from her training plan today. She is taking this commitment very seriously.

I thought it only polite to keep you up to date and informed.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thank you Herbie, I hope your Parsley is passionate, and your Thyme is not tardy, your Basil becomes beautiful and your Tarragon is tasty.

Many thanks from Jane and myself.

Top Bottom