I can't find any section to report fly tipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I want to report a case of fly tipping to my local council.It's not really a case of fly tipping, as the rubbish was left by the council when they came to empty the bins on Monday. They've left 2 wheelie bins and about 15 bin bags behind. There isn't a section for reporting the council themselves so i've tried to report it as fly tipping but when i click on the the fly tipping section nothing comes up apart from passing the buck stuff.
Can anyone help?
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/site/scripts/az_index.php?startsWith=F :scratch:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A telephone call to the bin collection dept. Obvs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would report it as a missed collection rather than fly tipping, though maybe there is a reason.... Our ones don't take bags of rubbish, only what is in the bin as far as I know.

Otherwise Fix My Street? I've used it to report dumped mattresses etc before now.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I phoned the bin department Obviously! They fobbed me off with stupid questions and suggestions. They kept asking if it'd been put out after the bins had been emptied. After telling them it'd been put out on Sunday they then turned to suggesting the bin men might have left it because it had unauthorised items in. No i said. They've just left it behind because they're either too thick or too lazy to move it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Have you tried calling The Wombles, if I remember correctly they like rubbish.

I don't think that their patch extends beyond Wimbledon Common.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
If there is a wheelie bin system, bags aren't usually collected. This is because the collection contract is specified on waste volumes from a known number of wheelie bins and their sizes. The rounds are then calculated and tested for a given number of vehicles and crews.

If the crews collect random numbers of bags as well, the vehicle may be full before it completes its round, plus they slow the crew down on their round which has all sorts of knock-on effects. As a vehicle can be faced with anything up to a 100 mile round trip to empty and return, there is no easy way of making that up without an extra crew day and that assumes there are crew to do it. The cost of extra crewing and even a single extra vehicle in the fleet will add scores of thousands of pounds per year to the contract, which we end up paying for. There's always a percentage overcapacity per round but that ends up getting squeezed each year as pressure on costs increase.

The other thing about bags is that handling them causes many more injuries to crew than using wheelies (another cost factor as much as a human one), the crew need sharps protection and that the bags leak and make it more unpleasant for all concerned.

No, I didn't manage a refuse service but a colleague did. It caused him a lot of grief!

Top Bottom