I can't find any section to report fly tipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

@Accy cyclist I wonder how many of those giving you hard times work for councils and other state funded organisation? Those that think the council ect can do no wrong, as it's in there best interests to say so?
PS they can also post on cyclechat all day long...even when at work, well if you can call it work!!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They take a day to acknowledge you have sent them an email?
Would you rather they autoresponded to all spam and joe-jobs and slowly drowned their mailserver (wasting tax income), or had a worker spend time ready to acknowledge more quickly, or actually worked on the problems and sent the acknowledgements in a daily batch?

SD1

Would you rather they autoresponded to all spam and joe-jobs and slowly drowned their mailserver
As opposed to reading all the latter and responding or not? How would auto responding slowly drown the server as opposed to reading and responding. You council types do talks some bollock*!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
We need BrokenFlipFlop's take on this.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As opposed to reading all the latter and responding or not? How would auto responding slowly drown the server as opposed to reading and responding. You council types do talks some bollock*!!
Responding to spam sometimes confirms the address is active so you get even more spam, and sometimes activates a honeypot address that starts the less scrupulous email providers (Yahoo, for example) taking countermeasures against the sender's server.

And I am not, nor have I ever been a council worker. I have done various customer-service jobs and studied Operations Research, so I think I can see why low-resource councils would say they may take a day to ack' an email. It is arguably more efficient and they have a captive audience, where the occasional nobber who is outraged by waiting up to a day can't easily take their business away.

What's one of those [joe-jobs]?
STFW: https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=joe-job

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Yes they may have to do a 5 hour day instead of a 4 hour 55 minute day.

Collecting bags and emptying a wheelie bin takes more than double the time for a wheelie bin alone. I know you weren't being too serious but multiply those seconds by even a small percentage of the hundreds of households per round who want an extra bag or two collected and it gets to be rather more than five minutes.

I retired a few years ago so my working knowledge is a bit out of date, but the crews then were working as many hours as it took them to do their round, which was often a lot longer than most people's working day, plus they were being paid peanuts by whatever cheapskate contractor won the contract. Once they finished their round, they had anything up to an hour's drive to the waste centre (most of the local tips closed years ago), then back to the depot before knocking off.

I had to go once and give a talk on the local radio about a public heath alert, which involved driving 15 miles to the studio on country roads through deep snow. I got there on time, just, and was dumped straight on air. The conversation went something like this.

"This morning we have Rezillo, from Coconutinthecoconutshy Council to talk to us about why we're all going to die from whatever scare is currently in the Daily Mail. Rezillo, you've had quite a drive-in this morning?"

"Yes, a lot of drifting snow but I got through the back lanes with a little care, thanks"

"Well, that's good to hear. So you got through in your car but your council's refuse lorries remain in the depot and are not going out. What have you got to say about that?"

What I felt like saying and what I actually said were poles apart.

Reactions: SD1
Top Bottom