I dont think I'll be going for a run anytime soon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stu9

I'd like to but just dont think I'm up to it, simple!....I did about 3 miles the other days (mtb) and my legs (thighs) well me in general was quite bad. I guess I could have (maybe) did another mile or 2 but that would have been it, so there's no way I could go a run, even a slow pace for 20-30ish miles, not just now. And because I dont like using it on the rds (bad enough in the car and motorbike) I'm just not getting out.

I've a feeling both bikes (push) might get sold and that'll be that

zizou

Veteran
Keep at it and you'll make noticeable improvements fairly quickly - dont think about not being able to do 30 miles just now, aim for managing 5 miles the next time and progress from there in small chunks. Everyone has to start somewhere :smile:

Lots of off road alternatives - either in the hills or cycle tracks. Maybe wrong but i think you mentioned earlier you are in Glasgow? You could go round the paths at Pollok park then once you are up to 10 miles or so you could try the cycle track down to loch winnoch, from paisley to lochwinnoch it is nearly all off road and flat.

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Yea I understand what you mean, but I'd need to put it in the car to go somewhere, or I feel that's what I need to do, simply because the rds are a congested arrogant nightmare, well they are here in south Glasgow

flissh

My OH and I were laughing the other day because when we started (about 7 months ago) we went about 2&1/2 miles and had to stop in a pub for a drink and a rest! We were dreading the cycle home. Now regularly do over 20 miles, not far by some peoples standard but great for us.
Keep at it and you will find it gets easier. Nothing wrong with putting the bike in the car and heading off somewhere quieter, I think I'd do that if I lived in a city.

snorri

Legendary Member
, but I'd need to put it in the car to go somewhere, or I feel that's what I need to do, simply because the rds are a congested arrogant nightmare, well they are here in south Glasgow
There are some sections of roads the most experienced cyclists tend to avoid, or at least dislike, but I can't believe all of the roads in your locality are so bad.
It sounds as if your confidence needs a boost, it might be worth signing up for an adult cycle training course.:smile:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yea I understand what you mean, but I'd need to put it in the car to go somewhere, or I feel that's what I need to do, simply because the rds are a congested arrogant nightmare, well they are here in south Glasgow

Get yourself a copy of the "Spokes" map of Glasgow (available in most good bike shops, Dales for example). It shows the best cycle routes around Glasgow and beyond. There is some nice cycling once you are south of Castlemilk, out towards Carmunnock, Thorntonhall, and Eaglesham. The hardest bit - as you know - is getting through the pain barrier. Once through it, you will enjoy it, so don't give up!

sidevalve

Über Member
NO don't give up. My return to riding was, to be honest, shocking. Things do improve but I have to be honest this winter has cut my riding [I only ride for fun these days] done to almost nothing and I too will be gasping at the top of every hill again this spring [for a while anyway]. As I remember from my eary days there are some wonderfull routes around where you live [I used to stay with an aunt who lived up there] and had some brilliant runs. Remember any road junction you don't like you can just hop off and WALK round [try that on the m/cycle, you may be faster but you are just as much of a target, I hate city centres on the Yamaha, or the BSA]. Find yourself some quiet routes [on or off road, again the advantage of a bike] and have some fun.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Where abouts in the Southside are you, Stu?
You could start with the cycle lane at strathbungo - I've seen a sign on Pollokshaws road, but never followed it from there.
Or you could park at the bbc, ride over any bridge, follow the very flat segregate lane as far as Dumbarton. It's a great one (just follow signs to Loch Lomond) because there are loads of train stations on the route, you can hop on a train back any time you like.
Or you could start on the cyde walkway (at Glasgow Green) follow it as far as you feel like, come out of it for a rest break, turn back.
Don't sell the bikes just yet, give it more time!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Keep going; when I started on a 6 mile circular route everyone thought I was about to die. Even for the first few weeks they thought I was mad and a heart attack risk.

On about week 6 it all got easier; no more red face, breathlessness, etc. and by week 7 the miles increased to 12, then 19, then 35 and now 100+.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Please don't give it up, Stu9 :smile:. You simply need to slowly work up to more cycling, as the others said, and it really is worth it. You'll feel healthier, with better lungs, stronger appetite and really nice legs :thumbsup:. Although I've cycled all my life, I had was in a similar position to DCLane just over 4 years ago, being overweight with high cholesterol and just a heart attack waiting to happen. Then I resumed the cycling, and the improvement was dramatic.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Don't give up Stu9. I haven't been anywhere near my bike for 7 weeks and I couldn't ride 30 miles if you paid me. I've been laid up with flu and still feel like hell, planning a short ride tomorrow around the block which is about 3.6 miles and I am expecting to be absolutely knackered. Fitness comes along when you least expect it.

Stop worrying about the miles and think about the time instead. Go for a 20 minute bike ride, not a 4 mile bike ride. Not riding on roads is going to be harder work. Tarmac is so much more lovely than a towpath or track, so easy and smooth. Are you sure that you don't have any safer roads near to you that you can ride on?
Have you thought about signing up to do a skyride, on the sky website. They have rides from 3 miles to 30 miles at all sorts of different paces, you are bound to find a ride that will suit you. The ride leaders are full of advice and tips and they guarantee that they won't leave you behind.

Kies

Stu .... I couldn't do 3 miles when i started out on my mountain bike 8 months ago. Came home wheezing and coughing, and needed my ventolin inhaler (asthmatic).
Those first few weeks were the hardest, but also the most rewarding. I remember the euphoria at making it round twice and then 3 times - it just gets better and better.
Since then i bought a road bike and a hybrid but I do the same loop when time is short and it still makes me smile .... I know every nook,ridge,incline and pothole on that route, but it makes me feel alive !!!!

OP
OP
S

Stu9

Thanks for the encouragement, it's needed believe me!

I was going to venture out earlier tonight but a not working back light stopped that, fixed now :smile:

The not being fit enough's one thing, but the rds are another.....that's what really frightens me

Saluki....it's not the miles it's the rds....well drivers (roads are tarmac that dont bother anyone, it's the peanuts on them that are the problem!)

I know I'll feel healthier (or should) if I start, it's getting started, I'm the Mearns area, anyone in the south side will know it, the whole area's a bloody rat race. But yes I'll give it a go, like I say, I probably would have ventured out earlier but a buggered back light saw that I didnt.

I guess I would like to go to my first run, but honestly the thought of doing 20-30miles after years of being on a bike I really dont think's a good move. Maybe a few short runs local first to see how I fair up and take it from there.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The not being fit enough's one thing, but the rds are another.....that's what really frightens me

Saluki....it's not the miles it's the rds....well drivers (roads are tarmac that dont bother anyone, it's the peanuts on them that are the problem!)

I know I'll feel healthier (or should) if I start, it's getting started, I'm the Mearns area, anyone in the south side will know it, the whole area's a bloody rat race.

There you go: like Zizou suggested earlier on, take yourself and the bike to Pollock park, miles of secluded riding there.
Set yourself a target for, say, May: from Pollock house to Paisley canal along the cycle path.
Great relaxed cycling in Pollock park :thumbsup:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Stu9, I suspect that your coming on here and telling us you were thinking of quitting shows that, deep down, you really don't want to - you want/ need some re-assurance that you can do it, that things will get better - and some suggestions for routes/ rides. < amateur psychologist mode to OFF ^_^>

Spokes maps are great :thumbsup: and you can always put the bike in the car (assuming you have one) and go somewhere quiet and, if need be, do some circuits of a park, out-and-back on a canal towpath or some other traffic-free space. Start small - a couple of miles, then give yourself a pat on the back and plan to do it again the next day. Build it up slowly, so you are enjoying it each time. As long as you are enjoying it, you'll keep doing it ... and the strength/ fitness/ distance will come - as many others have posted above ! :smile: Riding to a cafe/ pub gives incentive too :hungry: ... and a chance to recover before the return trip.

20 miles is probably not a good idea at the moment, I agree; but if it is a target to be able to ride for 20 miles by, say the end of May - well then you have a realistically achievable goal. After that, a 30-miler is next, then ..... Increased riding, with associated increase in riding skills, will give greater confidence, so you will feel more prepared to take to the quieter roads, then build up till you can take your rightful place on other roads.

Keep pedalling and Ride Safe !

Top Bottom