I hate car's!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.
This is a rant, not from a cyclist point of view but more from a car owner point of view.
Yesterday i was kindly relieved of £200 by the local garage for work on my car. To add to the misery the mechanic has advised me of more impending work needs doing for around the same sum. I can't complain to much about the car as it is getting on a bit now, and lives a hard life through the rough roads which i travel along
I needed to run the fuel tank low for it to be removed yesterday so today a trip to the supermarket for food and a full tank of diesel was in order. Whilst there, i thought i would also throw it through the excellent jet wash they have as the car was absolutely plastered in cow muck and salt.
A simple journey though just sent my blood pressure through the roof.
Roadworks everywhere, massive queues at the pumps followed by a chap with OCD spending 30 minutes cleaning his car neurotically whilst everybody in the queue where losing the will to live.
In the end i gave up and drove off home to face to roadworks again as well as some amusing road rage i saw between two motorists.
I can't believe that not so long ago i actually enjoyed getting out and about in the car. Traffic was lighter with less convoluted road systems. They were relatively cheap and easy to repair them yourself without needing a science degree.
You could even stop and have a natter with the fuel attendant as they filled your car up (remember those days :=)
If i didn't depend on my car for work, and living were i do, i would of dumped it year's back for the bike..
The bike is cheap to run, easy to park and doesn't get bogged down by annoying traffic congestion.
I can't imagine what it would be like in the big cities but it must be infinitely worse.
You can see why so many people are ditching the car in favour for cycling. Car's sales are dropping while cycling is increasing. Even with the event of so called clean electric/hibrid car's, the problems of parking/congestion and expensive repairs will be worse than ever. i still think many more people will turn there backs on the old iron chariots in favour for the trusty bicycle in the future years to come
At the risk of being thought of as a grammar nazi, your title should read "I hate cars" not car's! The way it is written infers there is something belonging to a car that you don't like.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
The independent garage he works for has just shelled out over £30k for a new diagnostic machine, add on the regular and costly updates...it all has to be paid for.
This is why whenever I need basic mechanical work doing like brakes, tracking and suspension, I always go a a tyre fitters who are cheaper as they don't need to absorb diagnostic depreciation into their labor rate thus are cheaper.

Then again the lads working there do look like they have to be back by 7pm before ther ASBO kicks in.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need a Volvo in your life. It'll still empty your wallet, but you won't look a w***** like a BMW pilot would.

Hiring a car a few weeks ago and the hire person proudly pointed out a BMW and offered it as an upgrade if we paid £25 extra. I politely declined while muttering that they'd have to pay ME £25 as compensation for any damage to my reputation if I was spotted by anybody who knew me.

D

Deleted member 26715

Harold Wilson have a read, it's all his fault.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Obviously you do need to go somewhere to fill up with fuel, but can't you wash it yourself? I don't particularly enjoy washing the car, but I'd much rather do it myself outside the house than pay to go to a car wash, easpecially if roadworks & queues are involved.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I gave up using my local £3 hand carwash when I realised the Afghans and Kurds who work their nuts off for a pittance were modern slaves.

Anyway I quite enjoy doing it myself, it's a good little workout for arm and shoulder muscles.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I drive for work, about 35000 miles a year and I get absolutely no joy out of it these days. I only average about 100 miles a month private mileage and I grudge even that. The car is a tool for my job, one that I pay £150 a month for - thanks Gordon Brown. I would be very happy indeed if I could find a job as enjoyable and rewarding as mine in a fixed location within 10 miles that I could use the bike for. I'd be fitter, healthier and happier.

The amount of absolute peanuts driving Audis these days is shocking. I remember when Audis were limited imports to the UK and only driven by lawyers, doctors and mechanics. Now they're only given to idiots who can prove they can't drive.

1580677424402.png

stephec

Legendary Member
Hiring a car a few weeks ago and the hire person proudly pointed out a BMW and offered it as an upgrade if we paid £25 extra. I politely declined while muttering that they'd have to pay ME £25 as compensation for any damage to my reputation if I was spotted by anybody who knew me.
Similar to me at Dublin Airport a few years ago.

Guy in hire place says, 'there's this Hyundai ready now, but if you wait fifteen minutes you can have a BMW 2 series'

He was still looking shell shocked when, rather than wait, I drove off in the Hyundai after declining his offer.

Top Bottom