I hate car's!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Just watched a program on YouTube about this journalist driving a brand new Nissan Leaf electric car from Paris to Marseille, 500 miles. It took him 13.5 hours including 5 hours recharging time!! Cost 55 euros because the charging stations are payable by the minute. My diesel car could do it for £43 so cheaper and much quicker too.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I hate aberrant apostrophes! :dry:
Please do something about the title.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd been meaning to write a proper reply to this thread but never got around to it until now.

For most of my life I loved cars. I still do in a way, particularly from an engineering point of view and like to know the technical details. Oddly enough perhaps, I've never been particularly drawn to high performance or large luxury cars. It's small, lightweight cars with intelligent design features which I've always liked.

However, I increasingly hate the things. For the most part I hate driving. It is tedious, tiring and boring and the least desirable means of transport most of the time. I walk the two miles to work each day and every day as I see the endless queues of cars, each large tin box carrying probably just the one person, going in vaguely the same direction whilst cluttering up roadspace and belching out harmful emissions and I ask is this really the best way to get around?

Every day I listen to my work colleagues who endlessly bitch and moan about fuel costs, traffic jams keeping them late for work, having to park too far away from the door and being out of breath after walking across the car park. I feel so lucky I can walk to work and I can predict the time taken for my commute down to the nearest minute because it never changes.

Then I sit and look out the window from the canteen at lunch time (the canteen is on the second floor) and see all the land which is under concrete to provide parking for the thousand odd employees who work here. When I was young and growing up in a farming community, many small farmers supported a family on farms covering less acreage than the company car park. Is this a good use of the land?

So many moan about the cost of motoring or the cost of fuel but how many actually try to do anything about it? People are prepared to buy enormous cars much bigger and more powerful than they need and do the most pointless short journeys in them Why don't they buy a small car and walk or cycle short journeys? No, they'd prefer to moan about the cost of motoring!

I honestly believe life as most people in the west day live it is just not sustainable. We can't keep depleting the world's resources by driving around in Tonka Toy monstrosities of SUVs just to ferry someone a ridiculously short distance to the shop to buy a newspaper. Something has to change. The government needs to work to reduce the reliance on private cars but there is currently no political will to do so.

. The government needs to work to reduce the reliance on private cars but there is currently no political will to do so.
I disagree the problem lies with public and no one else. Any government that forces people to give up their car, even if offered an alternative which will get them there quicker, will not be in power long. Even if car drivers were offered taxis (probably worse than using your own vehicle) they would still want to keep there cars......just in case.

tyred

Legendary Member
I disagree the problem lies with public and no one else. Any government that forces people to give up their car, even if offered an alternative which will get them there quicker, will not be in power long. Even if car drivers were offered taxis (probably worse than using your own vehicle) they would still want to keep there cars......just in case.

The road network and our towns and cities have been designed for the convenience of motorists at the inconvenience of pedestrians and cyclists. It is short journeys around an urban area where a bicycle scores it's biggest advantage over the motor car as it should be quicker, easier and more convenient yet most towns are cycle unfriendly due to road layout, driver attitude and a lack of will by the powers that be to enforce the rules of the road and educate drivers. Large out of town retails parks with acres of parking were allowed to be built and have encouraged people to drive to the shops. They often build them on bypasses or ring roads just to move the traffic jam that the new road was meant to solve out to the new road! Lack of investment in public transport and sustainable travel have removed the alternative to the private car in most places outside of the big cities. These things have happened due to a lack of any kind of forward thinking by politicians.

They government don't need (or indeed shouldn't) force people to give up cars. There is a place for the private car but it isn't in a town centre. They should educate people better, make car use in urban areas the less attractive option, encourage people to buy smaller, more economical cars and invest more heavily in public transport.

And at busy times you could most probably walk a kilometre faster than you could drive it...
yes, there is a several mile section of my journey where road and cycle lane/footpath run parallel. i sit frustrated as the cyclist i passed up the road passes me later on as i sit still, bumper to bumper :bicycle:
wish i could be that guy but i still have miles to go after this point so cycling out of the equation

Milkfloat

An Peanut
yes, there is a several mile section of my journey where road and cycle lane/footpath run parallel. i sit frustrated as the cyclist i passed up the road passes me later on as i sit still, bumper to bumper :bicycle:
wish i could be that guy but i still have miles to go after this point so cycling out of the equation
Drive then cycle, or cycle-train-cycle. Honestly, I think there should be more 'park and ride', where the ride part is by bike.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Our local council had a fortnight trial of closing one of the three main commuting roads that run through the heart of our London 'village', with a view to introducing a more walk/cycle environment. The locals went ballistic. I mean totally off the scale frothing at the mouth bonkers. Local social media was in meltdown. You'd have thought they'd been stealing people's children to be used in medical experiments. And this in the heart of trendy tree-hugging muesli-knitting north London.

There are quite a few things that could be done to ease the situation, from far more assertive use of taxation to discourage gas-guzzlers to using our vast cctv network to come down hard on bad/inconsiderate driving (eg failing to stop at zebra crossings) with relentless, inescapable £75 fines - but I fear that most/all of them involve inflicting pain on motorists, and that's something no government seems willing to do. Pending such political will, our national obsession with motorised willy-waving will continue to wreak havoc, frustration and pollution on 'villages' all over the land, and on the world at large.

Drive then cycle, or cycle-train-cycle. Honestly, I think there should be more 'park and ride', where the ride part is by bike.
yeah, i've done the entire trip a few times on the bike,
i've thought about the drive-cycle thing and i might do it more come the summer. i'm scoping out parking possibilities
wouldn't be doing it every day but would be good to do couple times a week

Drago

Legendary Member
Our local council had a fortnight trial of closing one of the three main commuting roads that run through the heart of our London 'village', with a view to introducing a more walk/cycle environment. The locals went ballistic. I mean totally off the scale frothing at the mouth bonkers. Local social media was in meltdown. You'd have thought they'd been stealing people's children to be used in medical experiments. And this in the heart of trendy tree-hugging muesli-knitting north London.

There are quite a few things that could be done to ease the situation, from far more assertive use of taxation to discourage gas-guzzlers to using our vast cctv network to come down hard on bad/inconsiderate driving (eg failing to stop at zebra crossings) with relentless, inescapable £75 fines - but I fear that most/all of them involve inflicting pain on motorists, and that's something no government seems willing to do. Pending such political will, our national obsession with motorised willy-waving will continue to wreak havoc, frustration and pollution on 'villages' all over the land, and on the world at large.
How about taxation to discourage any unnecessary car use? A Leaf congests the roads as much as any other car, and when one knocks you off and parks on your pelvis it'll hurt just as much as if a Jeep did it. More than half of particulate emissions comes from brake and tyre wear, so they bring little relief there, and just this week Nissan themselves stated that cradle to grave a Leaf accounts for an average 120g/km, which is very humdrum. That being the case, I can see little reason to favour an electric, congestion causing, danger creating, pollution creater over one powered by petrol - the key is to simply discourage people from driving cars at all.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That is what get my goat about the London Congestion Charge, it is not a congestion charge but hybrid of congestion and emissions, with too many ways of getting around the congestion part. It won't be until 2025 until that is sorted.

Top Bottom