I hope he reported him.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4793110, member: 9609"]he did appear to hit / thump the side of the van, and it was possibly this action that prompted the van driver to escalate the situation to an unacceptable level. If he had not struck the van in what I guess was retaliation for the horrible bullying and close pass then the van driver may not have tried to knock him off.I I can't help but think that a wiser cyclist could have diffused the situation much earlier. Slapping the side of a vehicle whilst it is passing (esp. one who is already showing dangerous aggression) is seldom going to work out well.[/QUOTE]

When you factor in reaction times and the manoeuvre that you are suggesting (supposedly brought about by the cyclist fending off the van) it would take too long for this to impact on what is taking place. Watch how it unfolds again - at that speed there is simply not enough time for the driver to absorb and react to the cyclist’s behaviour. It was deliberate attempt to side swipe a cyclist; the push/slap at the van took place when the van was already perilously close and getting closer still.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

News update, the cyclist was actually a co-worker of the van driver who had ridden to the place of work on the bike & was now riding home. What was observed was not in fact a hate crime of a van driver on a cyclist but a couple of work colleagues messing around.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4793110, member: 9609"]he did appear to hit / thump the side of the van, and it was possibly this action that prompted the van driver to escalate the situation to an unacceptable level. If he had not struck the van in what I guess was retaliation for the horrible bullying and close pass then the van driver may not have tried to knock him off. I can't help but think that a wiser cyclist could have diffused the situation much earlier. Slapping the side of a vehicle whilst it is passing (esp. one who is already showing dangerous aggression) is seldom going to work out well.[/QUOTE]
I'm not so sure... it's not clear from the video whether it's a hit or just putting a hand on... putting one's hand on a too-close vehicle can be a way to ensure that any further swerves/wobbles by the vehicle push you away (as in the video) rather than knock you off - that's why the pros used to be allowed to hold onto the team/medical cars in certain circumstances where they needed to be very close together. As far as I know, it's illegal in normal traffic and still somewhat risky, but so was what had already happened by then.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
News update, the cyclist was actually a co-worker of the van driver who had ridden to the place of work on the bike & was now riding home. What was observed was not in fact a hate crime of a van driver on a cyclist but a couple of work colleagues messing around.
Citation required. The wording of the company statement seems rather odd in that case.

Still looks like criminally bad driving, either way.

wormo

Guru
Yes. It's 10 or 12, I forget which. Either way cyclist was exceeding it in that video.
A traffic officer did a presentation and questions & answers spot at my mum's WI in the Yorkshire Dales a couple of years ago, and one of the ladies asked him about crossing double white lines when overtaking cyclists. His response was that as long as safe to do so with regards on coming traffic then it was better to cross the lines when overtaking a cyclist from a safety point of view. His division would not pull up a driver for doing so. If memory serves me right, he thought that the speed of 10/12 mph was a bit out of date (don't hold me to this last bit)

winjim

Smash the cistern
A traffic officer did a presentation and questions & answers spot at my mum's WI in the Yorkshire Dales a couple of years ago, and one of the ladies asked him about crossing double white lines when overtaking cyclists. His response was that as long as safe to do so with regards on coming traffic then it was better to cross the lines when overtaking a cyclist from a safety point of view. His division would not pull up a driver for doing so. If memory serves me right, he thought that the speed of 10/12 mph was a bit out of date (don't hold me to this last bit)
What were the alternatives? It's certainly better than attempting to overtake without crossing the lines. But is it really better than just chilling out, keeping a safe distance and waiting? And if it is safe wrt oncoming traffic, what are the lines for?

Reactions: mjr

wormo

Guru
What were the alternatives? It's certainly better than attempting to overtake without crossing the lines. But is it really better than just chilling out, keeping a safe distance and waiting?
From memory the A65 near them has some quite long double lines witha crawler lane on the opposite side.

To me makes sense, keeps traffic moving and stops ridiculous close passes because people wont cross lines. A relative of mine swore blind the other week that you could not cross the lines in any circumstances.

In a perfect world people would wait but that is not going to happen so may as well make it as safe as possible.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That has the ring of truth about it.

Top Bottom