I`m done with rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
But lordy it is grey! UKAEA/BNFL headquarters was located just down the road at Warrington for the simple reason that at its foundation it was part of the Weapons program and the largest UK munitions complex in WW2 had been around Warrington as it had/has the most days cloud cover of any area of the UK.
Fascinating factoid. Thanks.
I have the idea that what was clitheroe ICI got put there during the war because it would be harder for bombers to get at. Maybe that also had something to do with cloud cover?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
It is autumn, a season known to be wet (and windy) in the UK

simongt

Guru
Lucky that the wet days here in wildest Norfolk are far outnumbered by the dry days, :okay: so I'm fortunate that I rarely get caught out. On the way home; nae worries, just strip off and a rough towel, giving the GLW a good laugh:rofl: and hang said soggy gear up or into the airing cupboard with it for the next day. On the way in, like last week, the worst I have to suffer is soggy socks which dry out during the course of the shift anyway.
Will admit that with a twelve mile commute, if it's coming down stair rods before I start out from home, then it's the wee car.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Pembrokeshire is good for all year round cycling even for a dry weather bod. The climate is very variable and there are plenty of dry days in the winter. Just come back from a warm and sunny (Though bloody windy) ride now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@ianrauk has posted his number of wet commutes - surprisingly few.

Having said that, I reckon it rains a bit more than it did 20 or 30 years ago.

Global wetting rather than global warming.

Sadly, I do count my rainy commutes and yes, there's not as many as one would think. However I am lucky to live in the South East which is probably the driest part of the country.

This year to date I have had 35 rainy commutes out of 335.
For the whole of 2018 I had 53 rainy commutes out of 451.
So in the scheme of things. Not a lot during a whole years commuting.

Sadly, I do count my rainy commutes and yes, there's not as many as one would think. However I am lucky to live in the South East which is probably the driest part of the country.

This year to date I have had 35 rainy commutes out of 335.
For the whole of 2018 I had 53 rainy commutes out of 451.
So in the scheme of things. Not a lot during a whole years commuting.
Cripes that is sad.
No matter, you are the owner I think of an Altura varium bought cheap off here.
Riding in that I laugh in the face of rain.
As long as it's not freezing, I find riding in rain in that almost a sensual experience.

I couldn't do it! I wussed out when I lived in the UK. :blush:

Although technically British by birth, I grew up in South Africa so when I moved to the UK when I was 30, I was shocked by the cold and rain. Hated it. By the time I was 35, I had all but stopped cycling. I don't think I rode once in my 40's.
I moved to the Algarve 2 years ago and now I'm cycling again at 50, love it. Belong to a local Club and starting racing again soon.

When I was caught in some rare rain last winter it was a novelty and I didn't mind. With 300+ days of Sun, a few rainy day rides are manageable. ^_^

al78

Guru
When I first started cycling to work I had a spreadsheet of temps, weather, clothing, times etc. I got rained on 6 times in a full year of cycle commuting. Maybe you need to move to a less wet area of the U.K?

I find that hard to believe unless you have a very short commute, frequently work from home, or have a part time job.

In 2007, I noted the times I would have got rained on during my commute between April and October if I had cycled to work every working day, and it came to around 60, and that is with one of the driest Aprils on record that year (followed by one of the wettest summers). I live in the SE which is not a wet part of the UK.

In the winter of 2013/14, getting rained on was a regular occurance, given it was the wettest winter on record.

The "you'll get wet 12 days a year on average" mantra is BS, it depends on where you live and how long your commute is. With a 10 mile commute each way taking nearly an hour in and 40 minutes home, I will get wet far more often that someone who is only on the bike for a few minutes at a time.

It is only in the last couple of years that the weather has been ideal for cycling for a prolonged time, long dry periods with only a couple of wet days every fortnight, and summer 2018 was exceptional.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cripes that is sad.
No matter, you are the owner I think of an Altura varium bought cheap off here.
Riding in that I laugh in the face of rain.
As long as it's not freezing, I find riding in rain in that almost a sensual experience.

It is sad, but it's just another tag on my cycling log website

Nope, not me for the Altura thingy..

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
After 20 years of cycling, through all winds and weathers, I`ve got to admit defeat when it comes to the bloody rain. It never used to bother me, but over the last 12 months the rot has started to set in, and as somebody who commutes to work every day, it`s dry weather only from now on. I`m sick and tired of relentlessly washing/drying kit just to put in on fresh to be p*ssed on 30 minutes later, it does the bike no good, my shoes/backpack etc are all stinking because they don`t dry out, and it`s just generally miserable. My tools have gone rusty, my lights have gone back to exposure to be repaired more times than I can count, a set of brake pads can be killed in a week, and I hate it!!

I had ONE dry ride to work the other day and it was lovely, but over the last 3 weeks I`ve done the drowned rat act, at least once every day, now I`ve had enough......

Breathe..............

Got that off my chest and feel much better:smile:

Anybody else hate the rain though?

Can't stand the stuff and I won't go out in it. Nothing pleasurable about cycling (or hiking) in the rain.

Top Bottom