I`m done.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
It's been a mild winter so far. We've had much worse winters than this

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/summaries/index

January was average rainfall and was 2 degrees warmer than average. The OP getting fed up with cycling isn't to do with unusually bad weather

Well, I live in the bit of Cumbria that's showing a lot more rain than the usual average and a lot less sun than the usual average which coincides nicely with my on the ground assessment of it being utter shoot weather this winter.

Being slightly warmer than average temperatures does you no favour whatsoever when you live in the lee of a mountain range that precipitates and decants sodden south-westerlies upon you. :sad:

Give me a north or north-easterly fueled chill any time over this grey skied nonsense.

:tongue: :smile:

BigMeatball

Being slightly warmer than average temperatures does you no favour whatsoever when you live in the lee of a mountain range that precipitates and decants sodden south-westerlies upon you. :sad:

if anything, being slightly warmer makes it even worse because you also sweat more :laugh:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cycling isn't compulsory, if you're not enjoying it stop and do something else. I've packed the bike away for the winter for the last couple of years and it will be the end of this month (Weather permitting) or March before it sees daylight again. Getting cold and wet is no longer par for the course like it used to be, it just makes me lose interest.

Time for a fully enclosed velomobile? Or a rain jacket? :laugh:

%2F%2Fjnyyz.files.wordpress.com%2F2012%2F10%2Fcape.jpg

I've been where you are, only it was terrible drivers that did my head in and stopped riding for a good 6 months, sadly it was the summer months I missed out on, not this crap winter. I still don't cycle as much as I used to, but getting back into it now I've moved and have quieter and safer roads to navigate, buying a new ebike helped my motivation too.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No point in doing something you do not like doing if you do not need to, life is too short.
I wish someone had told me that 60 years ago! :laugh:

Just to make sure that I've fully grasped the concept - everyone should try to spend their lives doing important things, and preferably things that they actually enjoy doing? If so, I am going to have a go at living like that. Once I have finished doing the unimportant, boring things, naturally! :whistle:

Mo1959

Legendary Member

Just to make sure that I've fully grasped the concept - everyone should try to spend their lives doing important things, and preferably things that they actually enjoy doing? If so, I am going to have a go at living like that. Once I have finished doing the unimportant, boring things, naturally! :whistle:
I wonder how many of us would do a lot of things differently if we had our time again. Could think of quite a few things.

ianbarton

Veteran
Nope....January actual rainfall in the UK was 100% of the average for January. It was.....average. December was a bit wetter than average (117%), November was slightly drier than average (97%)
Interesting. I haven't checked our local stats. but it has been one of the wettest Autumns/Winters I can remember. We have only planted a bit more than 50% of lour winter crops. The fields are wetter than anyone can remember. Most winters we get some dry windy periods which dry things out, but we haven't really had any this year.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Wales has had more than it's fair share of rain this winter. We have a field behind us and at times it has looked more like a lake.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The OP is a relatively young chap, plenty of life left for changes :okay:
Ha - old(-ish!) age creeps up on you while you are thinking that you still have plenty of time - example. I am another 12 years older than that now (and 19 years older than the teacher in the story)!

As for cycling in the wind and rain... I haven't cycled much since the end of October. I lost about 50% of my fitness, and need to get stuck in, but I agree with the OP about riding in these conditions. I went to do a session on my turbo trainer instead last night and... got a puncture! (Strictly speaking - a small split in a seam on the tube.)

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm on around 350 miles for the year, I don't bike commute now (usually 3 days at home, 1 day in London office, use public transport). I am trying to select my non-working day in accordance with bike-friendly weather :okay:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Must say i agree with you i am fed up of getting soaked and freezing cold then theres all the cleaning of both bike and kit. So i am taking a break until the weather improves and tbh looking forward to cycling again. will be keeping a look on gumtree etc never know may pick up a great deal?
I am with the 'fair weather cycling' club but what I dont understand is all this 'bike cleaning' malarky.
In my 20s (ok many years ago:sad:) I cycled to work all through winter & summer and dont recall ever cleaning my bike. Oil the chain and that was it. I dont recall any problems as a result. What am I missing?

vickster

Legendary Member
I am with the 'fair weather cycling' club but what I dont understand is all this 'bike cleaning' malarky.
In my 20s (ok many years ago:sad:) I cycled to work all through winter & summer and dont recall ever cleaning my bike. Oil the chain and that was it. I dont recall any problems as a result. What am I missing?
Nothing as you would have had more time to do fun stuff :okay:

screenman

Legendary Member

I am not getting your point on this.

Top Bottom