I need some decent gloves for below zero rides.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stalagmike

Enormous member
I've got a pair of BBB ones 'coldzone' I think. They were about fifteen pounds and have been very good. Nice big towelling area on the back of the thumb for dealing with snot on a cold ride.

You need some of these...

09D55C27-2DC9-4F5D-B8CC-D4EDD328F370.jpeg

Easy to get on and off (provided you don’t have a bar end mirror like me), hands nice and toasty all winter with fingerless gloves, no big, clumsy, sweaty gloves with lining that comes out when you pull your hands out. Also, they don’t start to smell like big gloves do.

They only really work with changers that have cables buried under the bar tape though. Get them for about £17 incl. postage from eBay (sorry, can’t seem to create link on my iPad, search for RockBros handlebar mittens).

Ok. So it makes you look like you’re riding a BatBike, but these things have been a revelation to me this winter.

Graham

John342

I have been using these this year, after the Mrs was diagnosed with reynauds disease she got a pair of these and I use them on my evening commute under a pair of north face gloves that are very thin but ideal as you can still use touch screen devices etc while wearing them.
I have not had any issues with cold fingers etc at all this year.

Link to gloves here, hope it works. http://www.raynaudsdisease.com/SILV...MI8oXU5MCO2AIVFxMbCh33CA_SEAQYASABEgI8YvD_BwE

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having had frostnip in most of my fingers (different occasions), I am using a pair of
Planet X 365 Crab Hand Winter Glove
which I used Jan-Mar this year too (for cold rides). I'd say +8 degrees was their limit but YHTMV (HT-hand temperature). Currently (next 3 days) 'reduced by 40%'.
I normally take a size 9 glove and the L (large) size in these fits me well. I can get them on and off without a struggle and the liners, which are built in (separate fingers), stay in place.
The two finger/two finger/thumb arrangement means you can still vary hand positions on the (drop) handlebars and also operate STIs with minimal difference to if one was wearing fingered gloves.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Personally found the Aldi ones a bit chillier than my other gloves. Normally I use some synthetic gloves bought for me from the LBS, but they are good, (for me at least), only down to about 2 degrees. For the last couple of sub zero rides I put a pair of woollen gloves inside ski gloves, which are lovely and warm, but have to be careful changing up gear on the rear sprocket.
Planning on using a pair of my neoprene diving gloves tomorrow, which are shaped and waterproof and see how they go on.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm currently using a pair of Kalf FIVE gloves (available from Evans). I find them very comfortable and they kept my hands toasty last Thursday even though it was certainly below zero by the time I got home from my ride. They're quite svelte too - not bulky like ski gloves.

It does, of course, depend on how sensitive you are to the cold. I find the worst part of any ride is the first 10 minutes, but after that it has to be seriously cold for me to need full gloves. Most of the time I find my Madison Isoler (Roubaix Lycra) gloves perfectly warm enough.

I used a set of Bar Mitts on a 200km audax last January, on a day when the temperature never got warmer than 2ºC and I actually found them too warm. They also restrict the available hand positions, so I was forced to ride on the hoods for the whole 200km.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-Izumi-Elite-Softshell-Glove/dp/B00KJGKY8S

Used these two winters and very pleased with quality, comfort and weatherproofedness.

MikeG

Guru
Below zero rides? I've this little niggling thing about physics. Water freezes at ......erm, you know........zero. The contact patch on my bike tyres is a couple of square inches at most. The coefficient of friction between rubber and ice is .........erm............not much (am I sounding sciency enough?). I have only two wheels, hence losing grip tends to result in my centre of gravity falling outside of the "base", which negates the castor effect of the front wheel geometry, and without the castor effect to help me stay upright I am liable to suffer ****loads of pain. Why are you asking about gloves?

Ice and bikes don't mix.

alicat

Legendary Member
To wander off-topic slightly, I tend to suffer with cold feet. Thanks @John342 some of the items on the Reynauds site look good for me.

As you were...

dodgy

You need some of these...

View attachment 387458

Easy to get on and off (provided you don’t have a bar end mirror like me), hands nice and toasty all winter with fingerless gloves, no big, clumsy, sweaty gloves with lining that comes out when you pull your hands out. Also, they don’t start to smell like big gloves do.

They only really work with changers that have cables buried under the bar tape though. Get them for about £17 incl. postage from eBay (sorry, can’t seem to create link on my iPad, search for RockBros handlebar mittens).

Ok. So it makes you look like you’re riding a BatBike, but these things have been a revelation to me this winter.

Graham

I have these and they are absolutely game changing. I used to suffer terribly, no more, the only thing that came a distant second was lobster gloves. But with bar mitts, all your exiting gloves are automatically made 100% waterproof. If you really suffer from cold hands, buy some, I'm not joking.

Top Bottom