I need some decent gloves for below zero rides.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wajc

Veteran
I've several pairs of winter gloves and none have really worked for me below freezing.

Currently I wear a pair of of Specialized Element 2.0 gloves which are a half lobster glove. Specialized also do an Element 3.0 which is a full lobster glove and supposed to be warmer still. I opted for the 2.0 gloves for a bit of extra dexterity. Lobster style gloves are generally thought to be warmer as they reduce the surface area of the glove to the wind. Importantly these do not have liners that pull out when you remove the glove.

In addition to the Specialized Gloves I have a pair of Icebreaker Merino glove liners. This combination is better than the others I've tried but much below freezing and I'm still getting painful hands on my 40min commute (first 10-15 mins are OK but hands gradually getting colder, 10-15 mins of painfully cold hands, and then OK for the last 10 mins as I warm up and the feeling of warmth comes back to my fingers).

So this winter I've tried these

https://www.littlehottieswarmers.com/

They are supplied in pairs and you can buy as little as a single pair on ebay to try them out. If you like them you can buy them in larger amounts and they work out cheaper - 20 pairs for instance will cost about 65p a pair.

It was -5C on my commute earlier this week (very icy but bike fitted with studded tyres). I fitted one between the liner glove and outer glove, and as far in to the glove on the back of each hand as they would go. They get surprisingly warm and the heat given off was enough to prevent the expected painful hands so I think I may have found a solution for me.

simongt

Guru
Importantly these do not have liners that pull out when you remove the glove.
Ihad a pair of Sealskinz winter gloves and packed up using them for that very reason. Almost every time I took the gloves off, the liners would pull inside out. A right pain to reinsert them. :thumbsdown:

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have been happy with my Sealskinz Brecon XP. They are rated 4/5 on the manufacturers chill protection scale. I find they work twice as well as my Aldi gloves when it comes to stopping my fingers becoming numb. They did cost 5X as much though.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Ski mitts are the warmest, followed by ski gloves. Both are designed for spending a whole day in sub-zero temperatures.

rivers

How far can I go?
When it was -4 the other day, a pair of the aldi winter cycling gloves a size too large with a pair of fleece gloves underneath were absolutely brilliant. I had a toasty ride to work

I use the Aldi/ Lidl, can’t remeber which lobster gloves and they have worked over the last few weeks (real feel around -4c).

I usually start off with a pair of thin wool inners and then take them off half way before I get too sweaty.

The only issue with the lobster ones is that I like riding with my index finger curled around the STI and I can’t do that with these gloves.

Above 0 Aldi/Lidl ski gloves or winter cycling gloves.
I resigned my Aldi lobster gloves to the cupboard for that reason but for the money they were worth a try

jay clock

Massive member
Below zero rides? I've this little niggling thing about physics. Water freezes at ......erm, you know........zero. The contact patch on my bike tyres is a couple of square inches at most. The coefficient of friction between rubber and ice is .........erm............not much (am I sounding sciency enough?). I have only two wheels, hence losing grip tends to result in my centre of gravity falling outside of the "base", which negates the castor effect of the front wheel geometry, and without the castor effect to help me stay upright I am liable to suffer ****loads of pain. Why are you asking about gloves?

Ice and bikes don't mix.
It is often bone dry and below freezing.

Below zero rides? I've this little niggling thing about physics. Water freezes at ......erm, you know........zero. The contact patch on my bike tyres is a couple of square inches at most. The coefficient of friction between rubber and ice is .........erm............not much (am I sounding sciency enough?). I have only two wheels, hence losing grip tends to result in my centre of gravity falling outside of the "base", which negates the castor effect of the front wheel geometry, and without the castor effect to help me stay upright I am liable to suffer ****loads of pain. Why are you asking about gloves?

Ice and bikes don't mix.
I have quite often commuted or did club rides on well gritted roads and there's no ice but the temperature has been well below zero. Other times I've had rides where the ground is dry and the ground temperature also above zero but the wind chill is several degrees below zero.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm wearing these type of thermal builders gloves for rides at the moment. £4.50p from Screwfix. I got them earlier in the year, seem to work well in the cold.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/hyena-arctic-fully-coated-winter-gloves-black-large/3727p
3727P_A2&$prodImageMedium$.jpg

jay clock

Massive member
I have these and they are absolutely game changing. I used to suffer terribly, no more, the only thing that came a distant second was lobster gloves. But with bar mitts, all your exiting gloves are automatically made 100% waterproof. If you really suffer from cold hands, buy some, I'm not joking.
Got some for Christmas. Proof of pudding about to be tested

Another vote for Aldi. Mine are manufactured by Crane and they are fluorescent yellow on the back which is good for riding in the dark. Out today and it was bang on 0 degrees but my hands were toasty warm, in fact, I took them off for a few minutes to let my hands cool down! Also, passed a bloke cycling the other way wearing the same. Only a fiver

Whereas my feet incased in £40 sealskinz overshoes were a tad chilly!

Top Bottom