I need to talk to my regional manager about bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Upon my arrival at work last night, I was told that we (the staff) are no longer allowed to store our bicycles in the boiler room... instead, we're expected to keep them outside the store, locked to the Sheffield stands provided for customers.

This made my blood boil because my 7 minute commute has become a 35 minute walk... there's no way i'm going to lock my pride & joy to a Sheffield stand in a dark corner of the car park; an area not covered by CCTV in a car park that's a thoroughfare.

I have a very chunky chain and lock... but as we all know, even the chunkiest chain doesn't stand up to the average bolt cropper and I reckon a Sheffield stand could be hack-sawed through in around a minute. I don't take my lock to work so last night it was stored in the boiler room, but I was told next time to bring my lock and leave the bike outside between 6pm and midnight (or later depending on when we finish).

Apparently the Regional manager visited and they didn't like seeing staff bicycles stored in the boiler room... I get that the boiler room isn't ideal, the clutter of three or four bikes can be annoying and some folk don't park their bikes very sensibly, but they're not obstructing a fire escape and don't cause any H&S issues (providing they're parked in a sensible position).

I've asked my area manager for the regional manager's email address because I need to explain why the Sheffield stands outside the store aren't secure, especially in the hours of darkness when the store is closed. But rather than just ask for the boiler room back... i need to word my email in a way that states what secure storage is, and hints that the boiler room is the only secure place for staff to store our bikes until something better is provided. There's been talk of a secure cage being built, but that was mentioned over two years ago and nothing's happened yet (and it won't happen in the near future either).

Points against the Sheffield stands:
  1. No CCTV coverage
  2. Customer's bikes have been stolen in the past when the store is open and car park is busy.
  3. Inadequate (no) lighting in that area after sundown
  4. The car park is a thoroughfare and used by pedestrians at all hours, our bikes would be noticed by would be thieves or vandals who, when the store is closed, would have plenty of time in that gloomy corner to either steal or damage our bikes
  5. Even the most secure bicycle lock can be breached in seconds with a decent pair of bolt croppers.
  6. The steel used in the manufacture of the Sheffield stands is less than a millimetre thick* and could be hacked through in minutes.
  7. There's three Sheffield stands which means six bikes can be locked at any one time. By making the staff take up three or four of these spaces all day, everyday would reduce the number of available parking spaces for our customers when the store is trading.
*I'm guessing here.

Another point i'd like to make is that the company offers the cycle to work scheme and promotes it as a 'great employee benefit'. But without secure bike storage at work, I feel that I cannot use my bike for the purpose it was intended for, which is cycling to work.

Anyone successfully argued with their employer for secure bike parking?

alicat

Legendary Member
Sorry no experience of arguing for secure bike parking.

I wouldn't immediately class Lancaster as a hotbed of crime. And I've always considered Sheffield stands as good enough. Is there anywhere else you could leave it close by that you feel is more secure?

While all of your points are relevant I wouldn't be putting them all in an e-mail.
You need it to short and succinct but also it must grab the attention of the right person. You also need to grovel a bit because there is no requirement for your employer to provide secure storage.
Start by saying something along the lines of how much having the secure storage to date has made your place of world a good place to be. Then express your concern about the decision being made resulting in the loss of secure bike storage without an adequate alternative being provided.

PK99

Legendary Member
While all of your points are relevant I wouldn't be putting them all in an e-mail.
You need it to short and succinct but also it must grab the attention of the right person. You also need to grovel a bit because there is no requirement for your employer to provide secure storage.
Start by saying something along the lines of how much having the secure storage to date has made your place of world a good place to be. Then express your concern about the decision being made resulting in the loss of secure bike storage without an adequate alternative being provided.

agreed, OP needs to avoid living up to his self description: a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll ^_^

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Technically correct, but planning policies in some council areas now require it, so they should be required to add it next time they modify the building significantly, so might as well do it now and get the staff health benefits sooner.

If the firm is national, see if they signed that Cycling Works London campaign.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
If they offer a secure cage, make sure it has an automatic close on the door. A secure cage isn't secure if another user leaves the door open, or the key in the lock.
they have the cage at Asda with sheffield stands inside to lock the bikes to... and whilst being better than the customer stands, I'd rather an indoor space where the bikes are out of view (and the elements).

FB_IMG_1523199490473.jpg

No thanks needed, just glad to help :okay:

Crankarm

Guru
Well if you write an email like that you might end up in the dog house. So you could keep your bike there instead ^_^.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
On a lighter note I park my bike next to the boss's Roller.. honest. It's never been touched.
You company however needs to lighten up. Those external stands could be covered and controlled by a mag lock door. The NHS trust I worked for had quite a few and a LOT of people did bike commute because these areas were SAFE.
Failing that, find another job, stuff the antiquated mindset.
( I do currently work for a largish car dealership..)

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just get a beater single speed, swallow your pride, and get on with life. Your good bike can stay at home under lock and key for all the fun rides, and will last longer. You’ll get fit on the SS and save sounding moany with HR.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @MontyVeda!
In my experience, forget it, forget the email, do not mention bikes at all full stop and carry on using the boiler room, or find another secluded spot inside the building - inconspicuously lol
We get this periodically in my work: bikes here not allowed, there a fire hazard.
The stand outside has been targeted many times by thieves, lots, including me, have lost bikes.
So, of course, only visitors use the official bike parking, while staff still hide their bikes inside. Security and building control know, see us wheeling the bike inside, close an eye if we don't push it.
The regional manager is gone, don't remind him of anything!
If there are more than one building in your work and if you have a pass to access them, move your bike to another building for a while.
Best of luck!

Top Bottom