I need to talk to my regional manager about bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
While I think it is worth petitioning your employer for secure bike storage, and I wish you every success, the answer in the short term is to buy a cheap 'pub bike' for commuting. If it's only a 7 minute ride then you needn't ride your pride and joy. Ride something no-one will want to steal!
I'd love a second bike, but only have space to store one in my flat.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We successfully got our cycle sheds to be, clear perspex, next to the entrance, covered by cameras. Those who have driven can walk further as they have all that spare energy to burn. We even got a cycle track put in from the entrance so we need not need to dick about crossing the car park.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I have to keep my bike outside locked up between a guardrail and a chain link fence. Was ticked off when told I couldn't bring her inside (not just into my office, but couldn't even store her in the warehouse or an empty supply room or anything!) and my commute is about 45 minutes. I wrote an email to our regional and was told that my boss is correct- that all vehicles must remain outside- though they would not give a reason why one little bike couldn't be brought in. I don't even have a rack to lock up at. But I am the only bike commuter so maybe they will make some accommodations at some point. I don't let it stop me riding to work, they can all shove it if they think that'll discourage me!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I'd love a second bike, but only have space to store one in my flat.

There is always space for another bike, clearly something in the flat needs throwing away to make room:whistle:

If you get a cheap battered old nail of a bike for commuting, it does'nt need to live in the house, if you lock it outside at work you can lock it outside at home too surely?

Your nice bike then gets to feel special because it sleeps inside, and you can relax at work with an undesirable bike locked outside.

Otherwise do what @Pat "5mph" says and ignore the manager, or try and find out their diary movements so you get tip offs on when they are visiting, and you can sneakily got and move your bikes outside briefly when they are there, and as soon as they've gone again, back to the boiler room.:becool:

gbb

Legendary Member
Ref the original suggested email, I very much doubt the Sheffield stands are less than 1mm thick, more likely to be 3 to 5mm wall thickness.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My place has locked bike sheds (although they've been poorly equipped and installed but better than nothing) which are frequently full, with a handful of outdoor Sheffield stands to take the overflow. All are within view of CCTV but that hasn't stopped thefts from the outdoor stands. Not security man's fault as he can't spend his day staring at the screen.

I'd go along with Pat's idea, keep schtum for now and resume normal parking when the dust settles.

By the way, I always give our security guard a decent bottle of malt at Christmas and that seems to go a very long way to oiling the gears, as it were.
You never know when you'll need a favour!

Drago

Legendary Member
My old office was pretty accommodating. The bloke in day to day charge of the place (me) allowed me to use the cleaners cupboard, or on a Q weekend even lean it up against the back of my desk. Even the Supernintendo was pretty cool about it once he twigged.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Having walked to work on Monday and discovering how inefficient feet can be, I arrived to learn that a compromise has been reached.

We're still not allowed to put bikes in the boiler room but can put up to three or four in the staff room, providing they're not blocking the fire escape, sink, dishwasher, fridge or fire extinguisher... if there's no more room in the staff room, additional bikes will have to be locked to the Sheffield stands outside the store, but can be brought back inside when the store closes.

Still makes more sense to use the boiler room since there's not much to block up... unlike the staff room. This probably isn't over.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Having walked to work on Monday and discovering how inefficient feet can be, I arrived to learn that a compromise has been reached.

We're still not allowed to put bikes in the boiler room but can put up to three or four in the staff room, providing they're not blocking the fire escape, sink, dishwasher, fridge or fire extinguisher... if there's no more room in the staff room, additional bikes will have to be locked to the Sheffield stands outside the store, but can be brought back inside when the store closes.

Still makes more sense to use the boiler room since there's not much to block up... unlike the staff room. This probably isn't over.

Progress no? Positive steps as far as I can see. You should encourage whoever is moving this in the right direction. Work on people’s ego. :okay:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Your company has already bought into the fundamental principle that people should be encouraged to ride to work:

the company offers the cycle to work scheme and promotes it as a 'great employee benefit'. But without secure bike storage at work, I feel that I cannot use my bike for the purpose it was intended for, which is cycling to work.

So, flag up the fact that this action is at odds with that principle - that this 'great employee benefit' is in reality not being delivered:

without secure bike storage at work, I feel that I cannot use my bike for the purpose it was intended for, which is cycling to work.

So, to whom it may concern, does the company mean what it says or not? Because if it does, then it needs to live up to its bold words, by providing the secure bike storage necessary to make it a reality. Otherwise it's all just corporate puff.

Most managers will squirm when faced with the reality: that their actions are at odds with their employer's declared principles. Far be it from me to suggest wording your submission it in a way that leaves open the possibility of flagging up the mismatch higher up the food chain...

As a supporting issue, it may do no harm to remind whom it may concern of one of the main reasons your employer offers this "great benefit" is doubtless...

My manager has fought several batlles on my behalf to keep me cycling and cycling to work. Her incentive is that I am hardly ever off sick !

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

Progress no? Positive steps as far as I can see. You should encourage whoever is moving this in the right direction. Work on people’s ego. :okay:
yeah it's progress I guess. There's probably seven or eight who regularly cycle, so seven or eight whining voices in the store manager's ear. With varying shift patterns more than four cyclists in at any one time is unlikely... however i predict that bikes in the staff room will get in the way on occasion since that's where group meetings are held, and fear that a no bikes in the staff room ruling is on the horizon. If this results in a back to the boiler room compromise then all is good... if not :blush:

Top Bottom