I need to talk to my regional manager about bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This probably isn't over.
Love this. I’m hearing organ music, creaking boiler room doors, the rattle of distant chains. Do you work on the Holby City script team?
Like @booze and cake said, sofas are so last year. Give it to the poor and make room for a rat bike. Really fancy fifties track frame under crappy handpainting; beautiful Campy bits de-badged and treated with antiquing acid to make em look old and rusty; qr seat pin and pedals and a little dlock. Better still, bin your telly and put it in that corner, and dream of all the time you’ll save arguing about parking with your inflexible managers. Use that time to find a better job where they love bikes. Move there and sell them your rat bike. Winner, winner, steak pie dinner.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, it's a result @MontyVeda, congrats!
Today one of my colleagues exited with his forbidden stashed bike by carrying it over his shoulder down the moving stairs :eek: :laugh:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well, it's a result @MontyVeda, congrats!
Yeah... we just need to address the issue of the handful of staff who cycle to work and then get a lift home, leaving their bikes behind (sometimes for days/weeks). Tonight only one of me cycled in, but mine was one of three bikes in the staff room. It's not fair if those of us who cycle to and from work have to leave our bikes outside because a few can't be bothered cycling home after their shift.

Last edited:
TOTERBSR_P2.jpg

could you fix some of these to the wall in the boiler room, out of the way sort of thing? 3 quid each with the possibility to pass a cable lock through too

jarlrmai

Veteran
Carbon ones probably

The fire risk is that they become a hazard to people in terms of escaping from the building in case of a fire, this risk can be quantified or addressed by your organisations fire safety officer, ie you might be able to find someone who know's what they are talking about to tell you it's not actually a fire risk.

Drago

Legendary Member
Ah, so they're a (possible) risk to building evacuation, not at risk of spontaneously combusting.

alicat

Legendary Member
Does this mean doors that close are a fire risk? Is this why they often have "fire door" written on them pre-emptively?

Er, no. I think you'll find that closed doors stops the fire spreading so quickly. That's why sometimes they are set to close when the smoke detectors go off.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yeah... we just need to address the issue of the handful of staff who cycle to work and then get a lift home, leaving their bikes behind (sometimes for days/weeks). Tonight only one of me cycled in, but mine was one of three bikes in the staff room. It's not fair if those of us who cycle to and from work have to leave our bikes outside because a few can't be bothered cycling home after their shift.
I see a lot of those in the bike cage where I work. Some of those bikes have been there for years, are covered in dust, and have completely flat tyres. The management are clearly afraid to move them, because of some misguided notion that it infringes on the rights of people to use the bike cage. Corporate rules clearly override common sense sometimes.

Drago

Legendary Member
At one police station I worked at in the early 00s there was a Yamaha Virago in the rear yard. Rusty, furry, and caked in crud. Story goes a bobby rode it to work one day. It wouldn't start to go home and it had remained there for 7 or 8 years since.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
At one police station I worked at in the early 00s there was a Yamaha Virago in the rear yard. Rusty, furry, and caked in crud. Story goes a bobby rode it to work one day. It wouldn't start to go home and it had remained there for 7 or 8 years since.
Pah - there's one in the bike shed at work that's been there for around 10 years from new! It belongs to my manager, the first ride was to work (downhill but into a headwind) which was enogh for him to get a lift home from his wife. The bike's never moved since.

Top Bottom