I rejected Cambridge University. Twice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It rained heavily all the way on the cold wintery day in 1976 that I rode my motorbike up to Newcastle for an interview so I took one look at the dreary dark courtyard where the Architecture School was [is] and turned round and went home... mainly because I was soaked through and miserable, one of the cylinders kept cutting out in the freezing fog + the Cherry Blossom shoe polish that I'd mistakenly cleaned my leather gloves with the night before had stained my hands dark grey and it wouldn't come off no matter how hard I scrubbed them. Happy days.

Last edited:

pplpilot

Guru
The barstaff in my local used to know what I drank.

*edit: read it back, made no sense, just got back from the local you see, bit squiffy.

stephec

Legendary Member
One was from The Prudential the other was from Littlewoods Pools.
So that's why they were talking about contracts. :smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
If you turn down an invitation to join MI6 they have to kill you... unless you provide a note from your mum.

Not in my experience, although of course I can't be 100% certain that the older gentleman who approached me in the college bar at the end of the my first year and asked me if I was interested in serving my country was really MI6 or making a rather different kind of proposition... :ohmy:

PS: I'm not claiming to be particularly special; they probably approached everyone who did the course I was studying (Chinese).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I rejected attending the Leeds start of last year's Tour de France to do a FNRttC instead.
I had a bad cold that weekend so I rejected standing in a crowd of thousands of people up one of the local hills to watch the Tour de France peloton climb by.

I chose instead to stand at the roadside in my adopted town of Hebden Bridge and take photos of the peloton.

Unfortunately, some bright spark ran 10 special double-length trains full of spectators into Hebden Bridge station in the run-up to this memorable event. These spectators rushed to the roadside ahead of me and caused so much congestion that security wouldn't let me out of the park, where I had been watching the race so far on a big screen.

So, I chose instead to stand in the park and watch the peloton's passage through the town on the screen.

Unfortunately, the TV production team decided that it would be more interesting to tell us about the 2 churches in nearby hilltop Heptonstall village. The TV helicopter hovered up there taking pictures of a poxy old ruined church as the riders passed by barely 100 metres from me.

So, all I saw were the bikes on top of the team cars, visible above a sea of distant heads, and all I heard was a huge cheer from the people who did get to see events unfold.

I will make sure that I don't miss the TdF peloton the next time it happens to pass through my home town. That will probably mean me having to move to France! :laugh:

Top Bottom