I think we're on the wrong forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe, instead of 'telling' drivers how to act around cyclists, posing questions might be a safer/ more beneficial method. :unsure:

eg: "How much room should I give when overtaking a cyclist ? What does the HC say ?"
" If the HC says we should be sharing the road with all traffic, why do we get more annoyed at cyclists than at slow-moving tractors etc ?"

[ducks]
You'd get 2 sensible replies then 40 pages of 'Lycra lout' nonsense

But, your post does remind me a question I've been meaning to ask and you've given me a great idea on how to phrase it...

What level of padding gives the best protection for a cycle helmet?

See my point??

Brandane

Legendary Member
Fortunately @Brandane does not qualify. :heat:

DAMHIKT :laugh:
You haven't seen me on a motorbike/car/lorry though. "GTF out my way ya red light jumping, free-loading, lycra wearing nobbers!"
Only jesting; a knight of the road, me :angel:.

screenman

Legendary Member
Some posts of of the caravan forum.

I had to collect my Bailey from Herald Caravans Castle Cary, after some warranty work had been done. We decided to stay at The Old Oaks for a few nights to check it all out. Driving through Wells was no problem, but the road from Wells to Glastonbury (The Old Wells Road) had a group of around
five lycra clad cyclists riding, two to three abreast, achieving a queue of cars some fifteen cars long with my outfit in the middle.

With a steady flow of traffic from the other direction it was not possible to pass them safely so in the end I gave a couple of short toots to alert them to the queue. They waved briefly and dismissively without looking around, at hat moment a police or ambulance siren sounded and they did look around and actually stopped completely (the emergency vehicle was not in sight) then as a group they crossed the road and started back for Wells, glaring at the queue of traffic as they went by (I smiled sweetly)

This sort of aloofness on the part of cyclists continued for the few days we drove around, luckily going in the opposite direction, to the queues of cars that formed up behind them.

Is there a protocol for slow moving cyclists? should they like tractors and, of course my good mannered self, pull over if they see a big queue building up?

Here is a good one, check out the sweeping statement often favoured on this site.

We were out and about in the Peak District this last weekend, albeit not with the van.

As is usual this time of year, there was a lot of mist about on medium to higher ground. We saw several cyclists, both small groups and individuals, all clad in black lycra, nothing reflective and no lights. Why do they not make dayglo lycra?

In the mist some were very hard to see. Of them all, only one individual had a reflective top and a single weak front lamp (no rear one). They must have a death wish....

You can read some more here.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/101373-doing-themselves-no-favours-cyclists/

screenman

Legendary Member
I'm interested in the claim that the average cyclist knows more about the law of the road than the average car driver. From what I see of those others around me mounted upon 2 wheeled steeds their knowledge, or at least their willingness to use that knowledge, is probably at about the same level.

Got to agree with that post, more so though in towns and cities than rural area's.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I'm interested in the claim that the average cyclist knows more about the law of the road than the average car driver. From what I see of those others around me mounted upon 2 wheeled steeds their knowledge, or at least their willingness to use that knowledge, is probably at about the same level.
Every tribe thinks that it's full of the cream of the crop, otherwise why wouldn't you be in a different tribe? It's the classic thing that if you ask 100 car drivers if they consider their driving to be below average, average or above average 85% will say above average.

Internet groups are self selecting though, if you are posting on cyclechat it means you care enough about bikes to want to talk to them, or to other people that know about them for a chunk of your time. It suggests that you think about what you are doing. That does put you in a different group to the nobber on a BSO with his hoodie up, riding along with a milkshake in one hand and a shopping bag hanging off of one bar end purely intent on saving their bus fare..

I do care about my bikes. But I don't talk to them. I tried it, but they are so aloof and arrogant that they never reply.
Mine talk to me. Usually tells me to speed up you lazy git

Levo-Lon

Guru
What screenman said..
I get shot to poo on here for poor spelling and i ride bikes ,so imagine what spotty oik vtr saxo man will make of cyclists laying the law down:laugh: could be a good laugh tho..

Fubar

Guru
As well as here, I am on a car forum (Toyota owners), 2 motorbike forums, and a trucker forum (trucknet). This forum is by far the one I use most, but I have become involved in cyclist "debates" on those other forums on the odd occasion.
From my experience on forums and on the road, cyclists are fighting a lost cause. Don't stress yourself out trying to educate drivers @mustang1 . I think you already know this, but nobbers will always be nobbers no matter what they are driving or riding.

^^this^^

Pistonheads forum have people who post pictures of cyclists getting killed and writing "Ha ha!" beneath it. The rest of the forum is people asking how they can lie to their insurer to get away with not reporting a claim.

Top Bottom