I think we're on the wrong forum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
As cyclists, we generally agree (I think?) that car drivers (and vans and cabs etc) do not know the law for cyclists as much as cyclists do. So whenever some altercation happens, us cyclists repeat the same thing to ourselves over and over.

But this information is never read by the car drivers. I wonder if a bunch of us signed up on some car chat forums to bring our views to their attention, in a friendly way of course, a bit like an information exchange. Something like international exchange student programs, but, for forums.

The only problem i see is I doubt I will spend much time on the car forums. I might sign up to a couple of forums and see what happens.

Fubar

Guru
As cyclists, we generally agree (I think?) that car drivers (and vans and cabs etc) do not know the law for cyclists as much as cyclists do. So whenever some altercation happens, us cyclists repeat the same thing to ourselves over and over.

But this information is never read by the car drivers. I wonder if a bunch of us signed up on some car chat forums to bring our views to their attention, in a friendly way of course, a bit like an information exchange. Something like international exchange student programs, but, for forums.

The only problem i see is I doubt I will spend much time on the car forums. I might sign up to a couple of forums and see what happens.

I think the volume of abuse you would get would negate any good intentions, plus you'd wind them up about cyclists just before they got in their cars...

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
e-caucasian-young-adult-teenage-man-hides-under-his-blankets-and-covers-because-he-is-scared-of-.jpg

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I drive and I cycle. As is suspect most of us do.

Am I a motorist or a cyclist?
A motorcyclist.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I think the volume of abuse you would get would negate any good intentions, plus you'd wind them up about cyclists just before they got in their cars...
You have a point. But what we do on this forum (and a fine forum it is too) is preach to the choir. Us lot. But we already know. Someone else posted he was a motorist and a cyclist (like many) but we already know what its like to be on a bike out there.

Well there has to be some way?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Maybe, instead of 'telling' drivers how to act around cyclists, posing questions might be a safer/ more beneficial method. :unsure:

eg: "How much room should I give when overtaking a cyclist ? What does the HC say ?"
" If the HC says we should be sharing the road with all traffic, why do we get more annoyed at cyclists than at slow-moving tractors etc ?"

[ducks]

Brandane

Legendary Member
As well as here, I am on a car forum (Toyota owners), 2 motorbike forums, and a trucker forum (trucknet). This forum is by far the one I use most, but I have become involved in cyclist "debates" on those other forums on the odd occasion.
From my experience on forums and on the road, cyclists are fighting a lost cause. Don't stress yourself out trying to educate drivers @mustang1 . I think you already know this, but nobbers will always be nobbers no matter what they are driving or riding.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
As well as here, I am on a car forum (Toyota owners), 2 motorbike forums, and a trucker forum (trucknet). This forum is by far the one I use most, but I have become involved in cyclist "debates" on those other forums on the odd occasion.
From my experience on forums and on the road, cyclists are fighting a lost cause. Don't stress yourself out trying to educate drivers @mustang1 . I think you already know this, but nobbers will always be nobbers no matter what they are driving or riding.
Fortunately @Brandane does not qualify. :heat:

DAMHIKT :laugh:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Likewise, this forum and a motorbike mailing list (yay old school). A couple of years ago we had a pretty serious coming together on the motorbike list over cycling, a fair number of the contributors also cycle and some ended up ragequitting because of the level of vitriol aimed towards cyclists. I think we'd kind of figured that riding a motorbike you share a lot of the negatives but it seems sufficient list members don't think that way. I'll still sometimes make comment on the crasser stuff that is posted but it's a losing battle to try and get the worst of the nobbers to accept the facts, and this is really a very benign and friendly UK based list. I can't see how going on to one of the more aggressive ones would ever work out well.

Top Bottom