I want a big enough saddle bag for a flask, butties and spare clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's pretty much what happened the first time I used my SQR.

Interesting, I've put some heavy loads in mine without issue in that respect. Probs > 10kg.

If you followed my link, you'll see that mine had nowhere near 10kg on it, and hadn't for months. It probably never carried more than 10 kg (when I was bringing my laptop, wash bag and a change of clothing, the lock stayed at work). Still, it's not an unexpected failure after 20,000km (and I am slow, that's probably more than 1000 hours).

Edit: I misread @Fab Foodie's post! I thought "Probs > 10kg" meant "problems when greater than 10kg". Now I see that he has probably loaded more than 10kg onto the SQR. Soz.

My attitude would be very different if it happened when it was new.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have no idea what she looks like, but she is nothing short of a a customer service deity.

My Nelson was made by Andrea, and a fine job she did too.
My Camper Longflap was made by Sue. :wub:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
And they also sell the rings in both sizes, which is important, because they do fail.

img_20141109_141440265-jpg.61270.jpg
s
Often!!!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
That's pretty much what happened the first time I used my SQR. My bag contained a litre of water, a packable waterproof jacket and my toolkit. Total weight of just over 2 kilos. Hit a pothole and snap. Luckily I was only about 2 km from home. My mate's broke in the same way when he was 60-odd km from home.
Wow, unlucky. mine has been solid for years with a more full pack than that and plenty more weight on the rough backstreets of my commute and on mud and gravel trails off road.

contadino

Veteran
Wow, unlucky. mine has been solid for years with a more full pack than that and plenty more weight on the rough backstreets of my commute and on mud and gravel trails off road.

I thought it might just be bad luck until my mate's snapped in the same way, then I did a bit of googling. No, it wasn't bad luck. It's a common issue. They're just not fit for purpose. They might be a lovely back-street cottage industry from yesteryear, but bad design is bad design.

As I've said before, I'm now happy with my bag sat on a Nitto R10 mini rack. The Carradice classic rack, the SQR and the bolt on saddle hoops are all in the bin.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I thought it might just be bad luck until my mate's snapped in the same way, then I did a bit of googling. No, it wasn't bad luck. It's a common issue. They're just not fit for purpose. They might be a lovely back-street cottage industry from yesteryear, but bad design is bad design.

As I've said before, I'm now happy with my bag sat on a Nitto R10 mini rack. The Carradice classic rack, the SQR and the bolt on saddle hoops are all in the bin.

Hell i'll be keeping hold of my receipt then, in case mine snaps as well!:unsure:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

Ah well. I'd not heard of it happening before, I wonder if operator error (YKWIM) and ovrtightening the bolts may be a factor? screw anything up too hard and some part of it is going to suffer before too long.

If you Google anything you'll be far more likely to find the complaints and unhappy people, human nature innit.

I've nothing to do with Carradice BTW, just making a suggestion based on my own experience which differs from yours.

simongt

Guru
They are surprisingly lightweight for old fashioned materials, and they last for decades, if not generations.
Indeed. After doing a bit of research, I opted for Carradice Super C touring panniers three years ago and have not regretted the decision. The GLW has been using the Super C document style panniers for the last twelve years and very happy with them. Big advantage is that being cotton duck, they breath, so damp things don't get warm & whiffy inside - !:heat:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I did the beer bottle test last night. I went down the road to the local supermarket and bought some nibbles plus three bottles of beer. I took a towel in the saddlebag to cushion the movement. The bottles rattled a bit when i rode over the humps and bumps but when i opened one 5 minutes later it didn't piss out all over the place.:smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Holy Jesus...This bag is big lol. Mine arrived yesterday from SJS Cycles squeezed into a small box. Ive only just decided to have a look at it and was quite surprised to see how much space there was to store things when i unfolded the bag and opened it up fully.

This Carradice pendle is great for a commute or a full on day trip where you might need to be carrying extra food & other bits and peices, even if you fill it with picnic food alone, you could pack it with enough to feed another two people. There is THAT much space. and its overkill for me so i've gone ahead and ordered a Super C Audax. I'll be using this Pendle for my commutes in the future.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Holy Jesus...This bag is big lol. Mine arrived yesterday from SJS Cycles squeezed into a small box. Ive only just decided to have a look at it and was quite surprised to see how much space there was to store things when i unfolded the bag and opened it up fully.

This Carradice pendle is great for a commute or a full on day trip where you might need to be carrying extra food & other bits and peices, even if you fill it with picnic food alone, you could pack it with enough to feed another two people. There is THAT much space. and its overkill for me so i've gone ahead and ordered a Super C Audax. I'll be using this Pendle for my commutes in the future.
If you think the 'Pendle' is big take a look at the 'Camper Longflap'

Top Bottom