ice Cream Prices .......do you think they are a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A bigger "problem" if you have kids.
I dont very often eat it but my recent experiences tell me YES....ITS A RIP-OFF

LOCAL WARRINGTON VENDOR.
£1.00 WITH a flake. (Mr Whippy type)

NORFOLK.
On a recent holiday I paid £1.80 for a single cone (local made). No flake.

LAST WEEKS BIKE RIDE.
We went to an "ice cream farm" Nr Pickmere. £1.60 (home made)....no flake.

NEW BRIGHTON......yesterday(I didnt buy one).....Kelley's....£2.50 for single....no flake. Each vendor was the same (cartel ??)...now that is taking the mick.
Just wonderimg what others think.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Yes it's a rip-off; so don't buy it. Supply/demand etc..
I love Ben and Jerry's ice cream, but refuse to pay the full price normally asked by supermarkets. If I see it on a 2 for 1 offer I might buy it; or go to FarmFoods who usually sell it at a much more reasonable price.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Bear in mind that Mr Whippy is frozen aerated* vegetable fat while Pickmere and Kelly's are real dairy ice cream, ie made with whole milk. And I'm guessing the same applies to the Norfolk one as well. Kelly's claim to make their ice cream with Cornish clotted cream, which isn't a cheap ingredient.

*1L of the mix that's poured into the machine produces 2L of ice cream.

KneesUp

Guru
The amount of ice cream you can fit in a van is limited.
The price elasticity of demand is relatively low because it's a relatively cheap product that people see as a 'treat'

Ergo when there is high demand, the price will go up until the point where profit is maximised, which will be where the van sells out in the last minute of the day's trading.

The ice cream van isn't there to offer a service, it's there to maximise profit, just like any other business. Warrington doesn't tend to have as many tourists looking to 'treat' themselves as Norfolk, so it's cheaper there.

It's up to you whether or not the offer price is a "rip off"

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I remember when BBC had a big expose on Ice cream sellers ripping off foreign tourists in London claiming it was called a 99 because it cost 99p.
Granted that was a long time ago...
Don't mention 99s - I still cringe thinking about the time I got to the front of an ice cream queue and told the good looking Italian ice cream vendor that I would like a 69! :blush::laugh:

U

User32269

NEW BRIGHTON......yesterday(I didnt buy one).....Kelley's....£2.50 for single....no flake. Each vendor was the same (cartel ??)...now that is taking the mick.
Just wonderimg what others think.
Well if one visits upmarket swanky destinations, one must surely be prepared to pay a premium?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Quite, but in the late 70s was retailing at considerably less than the 99p being charged by unscrupulous sellers outside the Tower of London

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation

ETA: sorry, just realised I misunderstood what you were saying... doh! Anyway, London prices don't bear any relation to the real world, especially when the customers are tourists, so it's hardly surprising.

Top Bottom