ice Cream Prices .......do you think they are a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The ice cream van isn't there to offer a service, it's there to maximise profit, just like any other business. Warrington doesn't tend to have as many tourists looking to 'treat' themselves as Norfolk, so it's cheaper there.
Nah, @smutchin was right: we have real ice cream here.

Co-op in Buxton on a very warm day last week: A single Magnum - £1.87. Iceland, a few hundred yards away - a pack of 4 for £1.63. We bought an own brand pack of Magnum clones instead - 4 for £1.00!
Anyway, London prices don't bear any relation to the real world, especially when the customers are tourists, so it's hardly surprising.
Magnum at Ride London: £3 :eek:

Also a lot of them only take money 4-6 months a year :smile:
Can't a lot of them find the university campuses? ;)

steve50

Disenchanted Member
the Mrs and i took the grandchildren and our little one to St Ives near Bingley today, one Ice cream vendor on site charging £3 for a plain ice cream cornet. rip off by anyone's standards.

U

User32269

Just yesterday I was telling someone about the diving board. There used to be a famous one legged diver who went from the top board.
I went to the top...just once....looked down and climbed back down the steps.
New_Brighton_Postcard_Diving_Board.jpg

Check out history of wallasey website, will bring back plenty of memories!

U

User33236

We have local ice cream wars around here the regular one was recently found dead in the back of his van covered in flakes and strawberry sauce. Police reckon he topped himself. :biggrin: (Old ones are the best)
Still a bit of humour in the oldies :smile:.

Totally unlike the rather brutal Glasgow Ice Cream Wars in the '80 where the sale of ice cream for a cover for other items available for sale! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_Ice_Cream_Wars

vickster

Legendary Member
You've got a litre for around the same cost as a scoop for the 'artisan' stuff in London

@jefmcg how much did we (you) pay recently in Richmond? :ohmy:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
A bigger "problem" if you have kids.
I dont very often eat it but my recent experiences tell me YES....ITS A RIP-OFF

LOCAL WARRINGTON VENDOR.
£1.00 WITH a flake. (Mr Whippy type)

NORFOLK.
On a recent holiday I paid £1.80 for a single cone (local made). No flake.

LAST WEEKS BIKE RIDE.
We went to an "ice cream farm" Nr Pickmere. £1.60 (home made)....no flake.

NEW BRIGHTON......yesterday(I didnt buy one).....Kelley's....£2.50 for single....no flake. Each vendor was the same (cartel ??)...now that is taking the mick.
Just wonderimg what others think.
For God's sake, don't go to Padstow then!

Then there is the Co-op. Own brand cornetto style ice creams, vanilla and toffee, £1 for a box of 4.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
View attachment 138676
Check out history of wallasey website, will bring back plenty of memories!
Many thanks

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm more than partial to an ice cream whilst out on a ride, or with the grandkids at the park, but some of the prices are getting ridiculous.
Yes, it's a business and obviously profits need to be made, but 2 or 3 squid a time is silly!

ayceejay

Guru
One summer I though it would be cool driving an ice cream van (geddit?) The ice-cream came in a metal container and you scooped it out with a scoop :blush: . The guy who taught me the round and how to make a 99 etc showed me how to put a crease in the side of the metal container so that when you scooped and were supposed to be levelling off you were actually hollowing out the ice cream and getting more scoops per container. I had drooling kids coming up to the van clutching a hot threepenny piece for a cold ice cream there was no way I could do the dented can thing and packed it in.

Levo-Lon

Guru
We had 2 real ice cream cones on sunday at fineshade cafe..
3.60 for 2 with single scoop in each..worth every penny when you want one..nice too.

i often buy the 3 magnum copy chock lollies from the fridge when shopping at 1.50 a box but i love a real magnum

Top Bottom