ice Cream Prices .......do you think they are a rip off?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Best ice cream I've had is from the wee shop in Prai Da Luz opposite the church.
All kinds of different flavours that they keep changing :smile: :hungry:

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
Mary's Milk Bar - £4 for a 3 scoop cone, and worth every penny. Anyone visiting Edinburgh should pop in.

Anyone heading north of Carlisle should find their way to Nardini's in Largs. Ice cream sundaes, real glass bottled Irn Bru and the girls serenaded by a chap with a saxophone? Hell, yes!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Where do you live ?
I was born & lived in Wallasey/New Brighton before getting married in '68 and emigrating to Warrington.

What'll be on this site now i wonder?
newbrightoncopyright.jpg

Shops, houses maybe?

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyone heading north of Carlisle should find their way to Nardini's in Largs. Ice cream sundaes, real glass bottled Irn Bru and the girls serenaded by a chap with a saxophone? Hell, yes!
I live about 5 minutes walk away from Nardini's. Nice ice cream, granted, but bring your title deeds! Having it on my doorstep does of course mean I haven't been in the place for years. It's expensive by our standards, but maybe not to those from within the M25 ^_^.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Then there is the Co-op. Own brand cornetto style ice creams, vanilla and toffee, £1 for a box of 4.
As the co-op is the furthest away from me of reasonably-near supermarkets, this reminds me: how do you transport frozen food by bike? I use insulated bags (aka cool bags or picnic bags) but I doubt they'd work for sensitive stuff like ice cream over that sort of distance.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Mrs Dave bought a Ltr of Walls soft scoop last week......£1.00 ^_^....So how much will the vendors pay ??
As others have said.....I know those vendors have to make a profit but!!!!!
I would guess 25 single cones from a Ltr = 4 pence each and they are charging upwards of £2.50

Chris S

Legendary Member
Bear in mind that Mr Whippy is frozen aerated* vegetable fat while Pickmere and Kelly's are real dairy ice cream, ie made with whole milk. And I'm guessing the same applies to the Norfolk one as well. Kelly's claim to make their ice cream with Cornish clotted cream, which isn't a cheap ingredient.

*1L of the mix that's poured into the machine produces 2L of ice cream.

The cheap stuff sounds a lot better for you.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I remember when BBC had a big expose on Ice cream sellers ripping off foreign tourists in London claiming it was called a 99 because it cost 99p.
Granted that was a long time ago...
For the record - £2.50 for a single vanilla cone with a flake at the Tower of London today, and the same price outside City Hall. Seems quite good value compared with £9 for a visit to the Tower Bridge exhibition and £25 (£25!) to get into the Tower of London.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
For the record - £2.50 for a single vanilla cone with a flake at the Tower of London today, and the same price outside City Hall. Seems quite good value compared with £9 for a visit to the Tower Bridge exhibition and £25 (£25!) to get into the Tower of London.
B### ell......they really are rip offs

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't often succumb to the temptation that is the ice cream man, much as I love a 99 I'm not fond of taking out a bank loan in order to treat the family!
As mum to 6, you can imagine it was an expensive treat, instead we used to go to the nearest supermarket, or even corner shop, and buy a box full, usually for a couple of quid. Any leftovers we would offer to the first deserving looking child.
Our new estate is visited daily by an icecream van, but we've discovered the beauty of a 50p cone. And there are only four children in residence so it's an affordable treat all of a sudden!

Top Bottom