iClic Pedals - Should I buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Hi all

Currently using SPD multi release pedals on my Allez sport, purchased as a first step to full clipless and as I had equipment from my MTB days. Want to make the move to Road clipless and have the shoes but need the pedal. I know the above are probably more expensive but ease of clip in and out very important to me as use the bike to commute on dry(ish) days so would like to avoid the clipless dive if possible. However quite happy to swap pedals over at weekend so not so much of an issue.

I find that wearing my road shoes with SPD causes feet to ache after 10+ miles and so advise from other riders was to change. I have no issues with knees etc so float not important. Not after the full Ti carbon jobs but the road racer model.

All advise welcome

Cheers

Rob

adscrim

Veteran
If it's happening after 10 miles, are you sure it's the pedals that are causing your feet to ache?

Zoiders

Never heard of iClic so give them a miss for now and let some bugger else find out if they are a piece of tat as most new brands of pedal turn out to be.

To be honest it sounds like you need to switch your shoe and not the pedal, it sounds like the sole plate is not solid enough to stop the cleat bolts getting pressed into you foot - perhaps wear your off road shoes, the are more useful anyway as you can walk in them.

SPD worked before so I would not let yourself get brainwashed by road snobbery OCD, loads of people quite happily use SPD on the road as it offers all the advantages you mentioned.

Zoiders

I am still not a fan of early adoption.

You end up with something that either doesn't work or gets replaced 6 months later with the definative version that works better.

If you want to give your bike the road bike image but still prefer practability of SPDs try out a touring pedal like the A530 and with the cage you shouldn't get any hot spots. I use them and a stiffer soled bg mtb sports shoe and IMO the difference from full on road shoes is negligible and the aforementioned practabilities far outweigh them.

adscrim

Veteran
I am still not a fan of early adoption.

You end up with something that either doesn't work or gets replaced 6 months later with the definative version that works better.

Possibly, if it was a first pedal from the company. As it is, they've been out for a year or so and are themselves an step forward from the RXS I think.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Hi have the a530 on my commuter and being honest not a great fan, the clip side is ok. The non clip side in the wet is lethal, also have the 520 currently on road bike and a bit better. The bike has been fitted correctly twice at LBS after originally getting pain in legs from short rides. The Hotspot only effects the race shoe, my normal walky SPD shoes are much better .

The pedals are Time and iCLIC is the upgrade from RXS which was my other choice. There have been moans about the quality of the cleat on iCLIC hence asking for some real life users. I am not someone who is afraid of trying out new things, someone has too and happy to be the guinea pig ! Probably going to get a pair and will let you know

Cheers

redjedi

Über Member
I considered getting the iClics a while ago but decided to go for Looks in the end.

My reasoning was ease of getting replacement cleats. I know that if needed I can go into almost any bike shop and get a replacement set, Times are not so readily available.

But I don't think they would be any easier to get out of than the Shimano or Look equivalents. You still need to twist against a spring. Clipping in may be a bit easier, but I've never found that to be a problem.

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

redjedi, cheers for that. Maybe a bit of a boy scout but always have spare cleats, at home. I have a regular supply of consumables. Much to my wife's dismay :-)

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Well they have arrived and first impressions are great, no chance for long ride yet but the clip in and out very easy and smooth.

So, So far so good looking foward to seeing if hotspot gone but based on short rides the shape of cleat should eliminate this. Agree with others by the way that SPD with A520 or A530 are excellent for commuting. Thats how I started however decide this is the year I step up with competative cycling and working towards my first TT this year.

Top Bottom