Idiot proof recipes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
A friend asked for my flapjack recipe so she must think it's nice :smile:

6oz hard marg
1 tbsp golden syrup
4oz demerara sugar
8oz oats

Melt sugar, marg & syrup in pan
Mix in oats
Press mix into baking tin
Cook at gas mark 4 for about 25 mins
Cut into pieces while warm.

You can add dried fruit if you like, or ginger - crystallized or ground.
You could also cover with chocolate after cooking

I'll have a look in some of my dedicated biscuit cookbooks for you if you want.

BTW, you want to look for Kunsthonig - that's pretty well much interchangeable with golden syrup.

Yes please, thanks for the tip by the way.

Celeriac and butternut squash lasagne. You can make all the bits ahead of time and just assemble it as required. Don't spare the nutmeg.

https://www.everynookandcranny.net/roasted-squash-celeriac-caramelised-onion-lasagne/

Looks disconceringly complex at first glance but I like the idea. Will print it out and worky my way up to it, many thanks.

A friend asked for my flapjack recipe so she must think it's nice :smile:

6oz hard marg
1 tbsp golden syrup
4oz demerara sugar
8oz oats

Melt sugar, marg & syrup in pan
Mix in oats
Press mix into baking tin
Cook at gas mark 4 for about 25 mins
Cut into pieces while warm.

You can add dried fruit if you like, or ginger - crystallized or ground.
You could also cover with chocolate after cooking

Yum. I didn't realise it was that simple. That's one for the weekend methinks...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Looks disconceringly complex at first glance but I like the idea. Will print it out and worky my way up to it, many thanks.
Looks more complex than it is, really. I've always just used dried lasagne sheets for it, so you don't have to make that bit. The rest is basically just mashed veg and caramelised onions.

I'll see what I can do, but if the dough doesn't stop expanding at the current rate I'll have to evacuate soon. I'm supposed to leave it for two hours and it is already peeping over the top of the bowl with 45 minutes to go.

A tip for you from a regular bread baker - watch the dough, not the clock.

Rate of rise depends on temperature, humidity, flour type, atmospheric pressure etc.

Looking forward to seeing the photos...

Poo. I forgot to take pictures. If there's something left when I get back thos afternoon I'll rectify that. However, the cooking experience was generally a success:

• The Pizza dough did not take over the living room.
  • The Boys devoured the pizzas witht heir usual enthusiasm, but even the three of them (aged 14, 15, and 17) did not manage to polish off all four.
  • The Flapjack, despite being rather... solid, was devoured with equal enthusiasm, causing a rare brief period of silence in the kitchen.
  • I failed to burn down the kitchen. Considering that on one occasion as a teenager I caused an alarm sufficient for the local fire brigade to be called out while trying to make toast, this is quite a relief.
Further experiments may follow.

Idiot proof you say?

Here's a 3 minute recipe;

1 lightly oil (ie brushed on) a small frying pan
sprinkle grated parmesan in, covering the base to approx 5mm, 1/4 inch and heat until melted and bubbling
Add one beaten egg with salt & pepper to taste
heat until omelette is desired consistency
Fold and serve.

Delicious.

View: https://youtu.be/1M1RB2wDVLA

I like that one. Possibly something to try for the weekend, thanks.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Poo. I forgot to take pictures. If there's something left when I get back thos afternoon I'll rectify that. However, the cooking experience was generally a success:

• The Pizza dough did not take over the living room.
  • The Boys devoured the pizzas witht heir usual enthusiasm, but even the three of them (aged 14, 15, and 17) did not manage to polish off all four.
  • The Flapjack, despite being rather... solid, was devoured with equal enthusiasm, causing a rare brief period of silence in the kitchen.
  • I failed to burn down the kitchen. Considering that on one occasion as a teenager I caused an alarm sufficient for the local fire brigade to be called out while trying to make toast, this is quite a relief.
Further experiments may follow.

Maybe the flapjack didn't need so long in the oven, or maybe a smaller tin so it's thicker. Worth experimenting a bit.

All in all sounds like a great success!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I love my cast iron dish even if it is only an Aldi cheapo, not fancy French one.
Cast Iron cookware is the dogs dooh-daahs. Have 2 small and 1 large cast iron deep fry pans which are brill as you can use ‘em on the hobb, oven or bbq. Also have a large Le-Creuset. But, am after a large cast Iron Dutch Pot for bonfire usage!
Cast pans purchased from Nisbets.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cast Iron cookware is the dogs dooh-daahs. Have 2 small and 1 large cast iron deep fry pans which are brill as you can use ‘em on the hobb, oven or bbq. Also have a large Le-Creuset. But, am after a large cast Iron Dutch Pot for bonfire usage!
Cast pans purchased from Nisbets.
Do you have some devilishly cunning way of stopping stuff sticking to the bottom? When I was young, I had to leave the burned-on remains of a coq au vin out in the back garden for two weeks before the local cats managed to remove the residue.

Top Bottom