Idiot tries to stop combined harvester, because it's 'spraying his family meal'!

Is he a complete 'townie idiot', or should the farmer stop his machine while they have their meal?

• he has a fair complaint y'know!

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Total idiot

Votes: 32 91.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Farming is just an industry, and what people describe as natural countryside, is often actually an 'industrial' landscape, albeit a green one.

Any other industry making a mess of adjacent properties or roads would be subject to investigation with potential prosecution.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Farming is just an industry, and what people describe as natural countryside, is often actually an 'industrial' landscape, albeit a green one.

Any other industry making a mess of adjacent properties or roads would be subject to investigation with potential prosecution.
All driven by the supermarkets in their push to keep prices low. Consumers have to decide what they want, more industral production or higher cost food.
Say what you like about Clarkson but his program has been a real eye opener.

All driven by the supermarkets in their push to keep prices low. Consumers have to decide what they want, more industral production or higher cost food.

That's only partially true, and it also applies to other industries that are forced to control their impact on roads and their neighbours far more than farmers do.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Brands Hatch can only use the full GP circuit on a very few days of the year due to noise issues with local houses.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That's only partially true, and it also applies to other industries that are forced to control their impact on roads and their neighbours far more than farmers do.

Well that Karen wasn't very happy with the way the farmer conducted his business and he wasn't even on the road. Seems they can't win

I recall hitching there in my yoof to go and see the "Touring Cars". Obviously this was pre internet and you got your info from local paper / motoring mags etc.

So they tell me it is a touring car weekend and my hero Gerry Marshall would be there with Baby Bertha.

So yes I hitched it up there on a Sunday only to find a notice "Race Days Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday"

It also said something along the lines of "Local Noise Restrictions Means No Sunday Meetings"

I mean what right minded person wouldn't want to hear Baby Bertha!!

I have a British F3000 programme in my archive that's for racing on Good Friday at Oulton Park - dating from 1991. I also have another BF3000 one from later the same year, not on a bank holiday weekend, which is for racing on a Sunday. So it might actually vary. I'll try and clear it up.

My local circuit is Snetterton, which has fewer restrictions than most.

Mmmm Gerry Marshall and his droop-snoot Vauxhall Firenze... :becool:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Beware when crossing a field full of passive looking cows! 🐄

This is a regular scenario on one of my local rides, up the Brisbane Glen road from Largs....

20220724_112424.jpg

I'm always extremely wary about passing between the cows in case they suddenly turn aggressive, but it has never put me off actually doing it. They never move out of my way; just give me that "what are you doing on OUR road?' look. So far I have been lucky! It's quite a long climb to get to where they hang about, so I would be in no condition to put up much of a defence.

I presume they hang about the road, rather than the thousands of acres of agricultural land surrounding it, as that is where the farmer brings their feed to.

He's got a second series being filmed, I'm looking forward to it so long as they keep away from the scripted stuff. The 1st series was very good, and aside from a couple of blatant setups, seemed fairly natural. The look on his face when he got the 2 wagons delivering seed and fertilizer, and the realization it was all for him was priceless 😁

The only bother I really had with it was his book about it, it was just a collection of his newspaper articles which though still have a good insight into the farm I think it was a missed opportunity to do a proper in depth behind the scenes job.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
This is a regular scenario on one of my local rides, up the Brisbane Glen road from Largs....

View attachment 657514

I'm always extremely wary about passing between the cows in case they suddenly turn aggressive, but it has never put me off actually doing it. They never move out of my way; just give me that "what are you doing on OUR road?' look. So far I have been lucky! It's quite a long climb to get to where they hang about, so I would be in no condition to put up much of a defence.

I presume they hang about the road, rather than the thousands of acres of agricultural land surrounding it, as that is where the farmer brings their feed to.

Same round here, Minchinhampton, Rodborough and Selsley Commons have ancient grazing rights, and long may that continue.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

View attachment 657514

Cows, geese or swans. Which would I fancy passing the least?!🤔 I think geese, as they are downright nasty! Cows are just a bit dumb and don't mean any harm...I think.:unsure:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Cows are just a bit dumb and don't mean any harm

Unless protecting their young, as a previous poster pointed out.
Geese, yes, agreed. I once had to visit a farm where geese were kept. They wouldn't let me out of the car, and I wasn't going to argue!

Ditto swans. Once came across a pair of swans with some youngsters, camped on a canalside cycle and walking path. From the hissing and movement, it was clear we were not going to get past. Again, I wasn't going to argue....

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

So you didn't eat today then?!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom