if helmets became compulsory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
C. **** em

C. Bring it on!

I like yer style chaps
thumbsup.png

Jezston

Über Member
When it became compulsory in Australia I gave up cycling - it was way too hot in the summer to wear one. In fact making the wearing of helmets compulsory had a huge negative effect on cycling there.

The free bike scheme (Boris Bikes) in Melbourne is a big disaster as you have to wear a helmet and therefore can't hire one spontaneously, ruling out use by tourists and the like.

I wear one most times on my commute (unless it's a hot day) but if I'm on a social ride in the countryside I don't.

Would hate to see it become compulsory, we live in too much of a 'nanny state' as it is.

Just out of interest, was there much of a movement against compulsion when this was on the cards over there, and is there much of a movement towards repealing the legislation now?

Woz!

C for me too.
I wear one on my commute, but I don't like it and I don't like that it makes me feel secure. The only reason I do is because of the fear of contributory negligence.

For casual rides I never wear one. They're too much hassle for utility trips.

Besides - there are plenty of laws that apply to bikes that are routinely ignored by MANY people (must have brakes fitted, must stop at red lights, mustn't ride on footways etc) and I don't see the police stopping any of them so I'm not really concerned about complying with a nanny helmet law if they bring one in.

What your head??

Well my answer would be b comply as I wear one anyway.

Couldn't imagine it ever been enforced if it was compulsory, lights are at night and I see that flouted all the time.

No lights on the IOW equals rapid squishing. Id go for option c dont wear one never will.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
d, carry on wearing it as usual , sure its hotter but i ere on the side of cuation for a peaceful life from SWMBO, friends etc and even if it offeres a little bit of protection i will take it.

pepecat

d. Carry on wearing it as usual. It took me about three years to persuade the OH to let me have a bike again (traffic / not safe / might fall off / get crushed etc) and her one request was 'wear a helmet'. So i do, otherwise it's no cycling for me. To be honest, I don't notice i've got it on most of the time, though my head has started to heat up more in this warmer weather.
I don't think helmets should be compulsory though. The point about the 'boris bikes' in London is a good one - i'm planning on borrowing one when i go down there for a wee nip round kensington gardens of an evening, and i really don't want to take my helmet for 30 mins round a park, which, if it's raining, i won't do anyway.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Just because you have had 2 x nasty accidents without a bad bump to the noggin doesn't mean you never will. The right answer is that with all the stupid, foolish, unexpected ways that it is possible to die or be seriously maimed, trying to prevent the minute risk that comes from bumping your head while riding a push bike is a bit nonsensical. Fair play to anyone that tries, it is their choice.

I've had one head injury in the last 20 years and I've got a scar to prove it. I was drunk in a friends sitting room and staggered into a picture frame... so maybe I should wear a helmet when drinking, or when viewing art.

C from me.

ps. there is no D option.

martynjc1977

Veteran
I'd fight compulsion for helmets, and would defy any new law thats insists i do, thats untill i'm unable to pay the fines.

The Jayler

It's compulsary in western australia and i got a $50 fine for not complying.

Damn aussies. That was my beer money.

As for uk, it shouldn't be compulsary untill some body actually prooves the benefits.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
As for uk, it shouldn't be compulsary untill some body actually prooves the benefits.
Even if the benefits were proved, why should it be compulsory? You don't hurt anyone else by not wearing one and we all have right to go to Hell in any way we chose.

Alcohol causes many thousands of deaths each year, often to innocent parties and costs the health service millions yet we never see the safety nannies like BRAKE and ROSPA trying to get that banned.

Even if the benefits were proved, why should it be compulsory? You don't hurt anyone else by not wearing one and we all have right to go to Hell in any way we chose.

Alcohol causes many thousands of deaths each year, often to innocent parties and costs the health service millions yet we never see the safety nannies like BRAKE and ROSPA trying to get that banned.

Lets face it .... cyclists are only 1% of head injury admissions and car occupants 32% yet that hasn't occurred to these groups either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom