if helmets became compulsory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I seem to remember motorbikes with a small 'sidecar' which was just a little wheel on a stalk to get round some law, but can't remember what it was.

I'm getting one of these then!

710-861-main-2cd5_1-50-500x500.jpg

Norm

Tricycles are exempt from helmet legislation!........
If you are basing that on the current situation for motorbikes and trikes, it's generally very misunderstood and unenforced as policemen seem to either not know or not care about the legislation.

My understanding is that, if the trike is under 350kgs, riders and passengers need to wear a helmet and over that weight they need to be fitted with seat-belts.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'll be honest. I don't really mind wearing a helmet that much (so long as it's not a very hot day) but I prefer not to wear one and reading some of the online stuff has me unconvinced about their benefits. So although I could comply, I probably wouldn't! I just can't see it being enforced.

Driving while using a mobile phone was illegal the last time I looked yet I see countless people do it every day :thumbsdown: Why would this rule be any different?

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I seem to remember motorbikes with a small 'sidecar' which was just a little wheel on a stalk to get round some law, but can't remember what it was.
Maybe I dreamed it.

You didn't dream it - it was called 'The Sidewinder' I think. Sold around 1980 - never saw one on the road though.

As for making helmets compulsory - the UK government tends to follow trends rather than set them - so motorcycle helmets became compulsory once most motorcyclists wore them. The same principle was applied to car seatbelts. The more people wear cycle helmets the more likely it is that they will be made compulsory. (Though I doubt any government wants to upset religious groups with prescriptive headwear codes at the moment.)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Helmets? There are more important social issues... How about drinking and cycling... these two ne'erdowells need a talking to, and no mistake!

sq1r.jpg

sunnyjim

You didn't dream it - it was called 'The Sidewinder' I think. Sold around 1980 - never saw one on the road though.

As

Hmm - I could have done with one of these

[url="http://www.aviationnews.eu/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/AIM-9X-Sidewinder.jpg"]http://www.aviationn...-Sidewinder.jpg[/url]
[\img]

on my trike the morning.

GrasB

Veteran
Don't wear one so not a big deal. 2 x 20mph+ falls and no broken head
tongue.gif
+1 Had a >30mph off... I couldn't walk properly for a few weeks & it took over a month to get full mobility in my left arm but no head injuries. In fact I've had several offs & the only time I've had head & neck injuries has been when wearing a helmet.

In reply to the OP I'll wear a helmet if legally required, I like cycling to much not to, but I'll do so begrudgingly with lots of vocal complaint.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Maybe I dreamed it.
It was to get round the then new law which restricted learner riders from riding a bike of more than 250cc. Combinations were exempt.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
It was to get round the then new law which restricted learner riders from riding a bike of more than 250cc. Combinations were exempt.

Yes, it effectively turned a solo bike into a 'combination.' It was when the law changed so that provisional licence holders were restricted to 125cc bikes - prior to that that you could ride 250cc bikes on a provisional licence.

MarkF

Guru
I've actually done this. Spain has MHL, and we even took our helmets with us to Majorca, though we didn't want to wear them. Asked a local helmetless roadie, and he pretty much said "meh, no problem" (my spanish isn't great :-) ), so back to the apartment, helmets down, and we enjoyed the rest of our riding. We did see plod when we were there, but they didn't seem bothered at all.

Spain doesn't have MHL, they have a daft convoluted law where you don't have to wear one in urban areas, or when it's hot, or going up steep hills and the Guardia Civil couldn't give a monkey's.

C. I'll never wear one but I'll keep cycling, how is anybody going to "catch" me? Slippery slope to complusory insurance and reg plates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom