if helmets became compulsory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I would probably do Mostly B ... but that is what I do... but I wouldn't comply 100% of the time my bit of rebellion.

What would they do about all the really badly fitted ones that would make the law pointless - or would they also be fined?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I chose to wear one but only after my 50th birthday - after ineptly failing to correct a skid on a greasy road and falling off - I reckoned that 10 years ago that wouldn't have happened so maybe it was time....

But taking away my right to choose and forcing compliance would make me really angry. It would be a loss of liberty and a weakening of the right for individuals to make their own choices. Staying alive on a bike is all about making reasoned, calculated decisions and developing strategies for continued survival. Being compelled to do something is the opposite of making a reasoned choice.

Forever making reasoned choices seem to me to be essential to cycling - more important even than pedalling.

TrevorM

At least most of you don't live here in N. Ireland where this might actually be a choice to be made or there is always ....

D. Move to a more sensible country

evilclive

First off, sorry for opening yet another helmet debate :blush:

However, should they become compulsory, what would you do? [sub](mainly aimed at the no to helmets brigade)[/sub]

a: cut down or stop cycling

b: comply and wear one

c: not wear one in protest

We've had D, carry on wearing one. I'd go for E, carry on not wearing one. That's not a protest, it's just not wearing a helmet. I'd also protest, but that's separate from me riding my bike.

I've actually done this. Spain has MHL, and we even took our helmets with us to Majorca, though we didn't want to wear them. Asked a local helmetless roadie, and he pretty much said "meh, no problem" (my spanish isn't great :-) ), so back to the apartment, helmets down, and we enjoyed the rest of our riding. We did see plod when we were there, but they didn't seem bothered at all.

david k

Hi
They'd probably try and fine the parents :angry:

think it would be impossible to enforce, or such a strain on resources that they'd turn a blind eye

Flyingfox

When it became compulsory in Australia I gave up cycling - it was way too hot in the summer to wear one. In fact making the wearing of helmets compulsory had a huge negative effect on cycling there.

The free bike scheme (Boris Bikes) in Melbourne is a big disaster as you have to wear a helmet and therefore can't hire one spontaneously, ruling out use by tourists and the like.

I wear one most times on my commute (unless it's a hot day) but if I'm on a social ride in the countryside I don't.

Would hate to see it become compulsory, we live in too much of a 'nanny state' as it is.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
First off, sorry for opening yet another helmet debate :blush:

However, should they become compulsory, what would you do? [sub](mainly aimed at the no to helmets brigade)[/sub]

a: cut down or stop cycling

b: comply and wear one

c: not wear one in protest

Already wear one so not a big deal. 2 x 20mph+ falls and 2 x broken helmets saving 2 x broken head
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom