If you had the freedom to tour for a month anywhere in the world - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Ireland, both sides of the border.
I've a fairly good idea on what to expect weather wise and I'd be able to use it as an excuse to visit relatives I've not seen in a while.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Off the top of my head France. Climate, road surfaces, respect for cyclists, food, general ambience.

Saying that I feel I would want to give it plenty of thought so as not to miss a real opportunity.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well let me know if you ever end up in New England, I've got quite a bit of experience touring around these parts. There are some really nice areas -particularly some of the backroads of Massachusetts are worth a go, if a little hilly in the western part. Maine is nice, but as you get further up, honestly, all you tend to see is trees, trees, trees, etc and you can be stuck on a road and not see much in terms of vistas for a while as.... the trees get in the way..... Parts of Vermont and New Hampshire are gorgeous too, though I'd avoid the White Mountains in tourist season and leaf peeping season too. Rhode Island is not so nice around Providence, but once you get out of the urban sprawl of Pawtucket and Providence it's gets quite nice (particularly around Little Compton in the east and the south western part near Connecticut. TBH, I've barely touched Connecticut but heard parts of it are really nice too.

Canada or America. Where exacly depends on the time of year. Early then America in the south, summer then Canada, close to the border with America, or America near the rockies, yellow stone national park.. or maybe new England

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well.... since I've never been to France, I'd love to try France. I'm a bit of a soft tourer, and I enjoy the pleasures of coming across a nice pub/cafe to stop mid-ride and sit back and smell the roses, so really exotic far off remote locations wouldn't be my first choice. That's not to say I wouldn't find touring Outer Mongolia interesting or enjoyable, just that I prefer a more comfortable approach. I've sometimes google mapped parts of Sweden and Denmark, and they look nice as well. Oh, shouldn't forget New Zealand as well.

I've always had a hankering for Chile too. So yeah, France first, followed by Sweden/Denmark/New Zealand/Chile.

If you could leave the job, family, responsibilities, etc. behind for a month and go cycle touring anywhere in the world - where would you go, and why?

jhawk

Veteran
What a difficult question.

I would probably love to go back to Europe for that month. I'm living in Canada and will be touring across the country next year, so that's that sorted. :biggrin:

But, given just a month, it'd be a short European tour of multiple countries.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Not sure about the "drier", see here, where NZ rates a mention:
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/the-wettest-places-in-the-world

Part of NZ (the southwest of the South Island) is among the wettest places on Earth but the rest of the country, particularly the central and eastern South Island is significantly drier and generally warmer than the UK as a whole.

For my month anywhere, I would probably go back to Corsica, a month is not long enough for most far flung places.

U

User169

Maine is nice, but as you get further up, honestly, all you tend to see is trees, trees, trees, etc and you can be stuck on a road and not see much in terms of vistas for a while as.... the trees get in the way

Maine is high up my list of destinations - primarily to visit Allagash in Portland and ebenezers pub in Lovell!

Top Bottom