If you had the freedom to tour for a month anywhere in the world - where would you go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Vermont also has a white cheddar cheese, possibly the sharpest I have ever tasted.

If you could leave the job, family, responsibilities, etc. behind for a month and go cycle touring anywhere in the world - where would you go, and why?

This is a suggestion rather than my answer because I have been there already and I would choose somewhere new (maybe Iceland) but...KYRGYZSTAN IS BEAUTIFUL! I didn't cycle there but I met a few groups and they were loving it. It is an amazing place. Despite having quite a cosmopolitan capital, the majority of the country is beautiful mountains, grasslands and yurts. It's chilled out and my only complaint was the food being vegetarian (same applies for all ex-soviet states in the region!). Give it a go if you get the chance :smile:

22camels

Sumatra. Having spent a bit of time in most countries around there (on foot), but not Indonesia, there is something that really captivates me about it, actually any of the Indonesian islands but particularly the less developed ones. Not sure exactly why, the challenge appeals as not that many people go cycling there, the equatorial climate, the volcanoes? I am planning my first major bike tour, of 12-18 months duration, in Asia, but Sumatra is the part that I am most excited about.

Most of Indonesia, is a crap hole, I know tourist see it as a wonderful place, but if you had to work there you would see its true self. Quite a lot of cyclist do ride through Indonesia, on the route from Australia, by riding the islands they can avoid flying from the islands to Singapore or Malaysia, as you can get a ferry from Medan in Sumatra to Port Dickson or Pinang island in Malaysia. The most of people are friendly enough, but sometime when something has excited them it is time to keep a low profile.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was thinking France or Holland. Hubster doesn't like hills so somewhere fairly flat. I'd love to go cycle touring but would rather do 'day trips' and big loops and return to our caravan every night.
There is so much of the UK that I haven't explored so quite fancy touring round Essex and Kent as it always looks pretty on the TV.

22camels

Most of Indonesia, is a crap hole, I know tourist see it as a wonderful place, but if you had to work there you would see its true self.
I can picture. It must be one of the places where our destruction of the planet is most evident. I am not looking for pretty or pristine, industrial wastelands can be equally worthwhile. But I hope some forest is still left when I go there.

byegad

Legendary Member
One miserable year, it poured every day for 6 weeks! :rain:

I was dragged to see the Trossachs by my parents that year. We were supposed to be camping but stayed in a B&B and then went to Blackpool where the weather was glorious. My memory of the Trossachs is water pouring down a hill side and over the road into a body of water. Visibility was measured in inches in the mist and rain!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I've cycled in Mallorca a few times, but always got there using a plane.

It would be really nice to do the journey down through France and Spain and join the dots up.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
For me either Switzerland, New Zealand or Norway/Sweden. But I would want to take Mr Summerdays with me, I'm hoping to have a nice holiday when all the kids have left school! (So another 5 years to go yet!)

Top Bottom