If you're going to die soon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This young man did something special in his final eighteen months. I'm proud to say I knew him -

http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/15990426.Tributes_paid_to__charming__brave_and_humble__Luke/

You might not be able to. My friend was so weak from the cancer and chemo, she couldn't even manage the weekend in Skegness they'd organised as a honeymoon after their fast-track wedding. Her bucket list became a day trip with the kids to the sea life centre, which she did manage.
I know. A friend managed one trip abroad before he was hospitalised.

Tin Pot

Guru
On a side note I wonder if people who’ve got a few months to live ever go murderer somebody they hate and then just take an overdose?

Not in my limited experience. They just don’t give a crap about anything anymore, all passion and desire fades as they recognise their mortality and doom.

But if Hard Sun http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05pc0xs is to be believed, you’re spot on.

Personally I favour the pile of cash/coke/hookers method of exiting this vale of tears.

gbb

Legendary Member
As little work as possible would be getting done. Which probably means no notice, I would just walk away as if it didn't exist. I have a pension and some savings; no point in departing this life with any cash in the bank, especially as I have no direct family to leave anything to. As long as I was fit enough, it would be a bucket list extravaganza involving a lot of alcohol and fine dining. Stuff cycling too; more important things to do!
I used to work with an old fella from the Fens (Not that that's particually relevent). His favourite saying was...
Live like a rich man, don't die like one.

tyred

Legendary Member
I believe I shall live forever and will continue in that belief until the day I die.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My old man was diagnosed with cancer, quickly retired ( he was only 58) and was dead within 2 months.
So, I would (health allowing) travel to my fave places, then hunker down with Miss Goodbody and go out with a bang :smile:

James Joyce:

“Better pass boldly into that other world, in the full glory of some passion, than fade and wither dismally with age.”

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A few years ago I was sent this quotation.....

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

And it has struck a chord with me because I sort of agree with the sentiment. While I do not wish to squander my life, likewise, I do not see the point in grimly preserving longevity above enjoyment. I want a full, healthy and enjoyable life. If that is 60, 70 or 100 years then so be it. In fact, if I dropped dead tomorrow I would have no regrets. I have a wonderful family, fantastic children well on their way to being great adults, a perfect wife and a lifetime of fulfillment that frankly leaves me feeling I have had more than my share.
It couldn't have been any better.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My wife feels that this year may be her last so she's fixed her sights on taking the grandkids to Eurodisney in the summer. I think having that goal to aim for helps her fight the pain.

classic33

Leg End Member
A few years ago I was sent this quotation.....

And it has struck a chord with me because I sort of agree with the sentiment. While I do not wish to squander my life, likewise, I do not see the point in grimly preserving longevity above enjoyment. I want a full, healthy and enjoyable life. If that is 60, 70 or 100 years then so be it. In fact, if I dropped dead tomorrow I would have no regrets. I have a wonderful family, fantastic children well on their way to being great adults, a perfect wife and a lifetime of fulfillment that frankly leaves me feeling I have had more than my share.
It couldn't have been any better.
Be kinda hard, regrets afterwards

Top Bottom