If you're going to die soon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I'd do my best to make sure my wife and kids would be in best position possible financially before I left.

Sad but practical unfortunately..

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I'd do my best to make sure my wife and kids would be in best position possible financially before I left.

Sad but practical unfortunately..

Do you teach chemistry?

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Is there something you want to tell us?
No no, well I certainly hope not.

It's just that when I go to a funeral after someone has worked long hours all his life and just a short while after retirement, they die. Then people at the funeral talk about "his hard life, his long hours, see what happened just after retiring, what kinda life is this?" and then the following day the same people go back to work, long hours, and so on.

Kind of reminds me of the boiling frog.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
On a sadder note a close family member has just been told she has a brain tumor the size of an orange in the frontal area of the brain.
No prognosis yet ,and she has a 18 month old baby too.

Hoping she gets good news.

Sorry to hear about this. It's always orders of magnitude harder to contemplate when a child is involved.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Work have us over a barrel unfortunately. As part of the pension package there is a 12 x annual salary payout in the event of death in service. This, and only this, would probably keep me working to the end because that would be a huge sum to help my family get on with their lives after I had gone.
Not a cheery thought though :sad:

...but a noble one.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
How good is the diagnosis ?

As i wouldn't want to blow it all away then find out it was wrong and end up having no money .

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have heard several horror stories, where people have been handed terminal medical news - INCORRECTLY, so they have had a total YOLO experience with their savings and credit cards, then found out they were misdiagnosed and then end up with still pretty serious medical issues and no savings etc!

I think it depends on what my diagnosis was - I would definitely end up travelling and seeing the places I have always wanted to go and meet people who I would want to as well, just the experiences really. Plus, because I am selfless, I would also treat my parents to things they haven't got round to doing - because seeing them happier, makes me happier than myself being happy? If that makes sense.

No no, well I certainly hope not.

It's just that when I go to a funeral after someone has worked long hours all his life and just a short while after retirement, they die. Then people at the funeral talk about "his hard life, his long hours, see what happened just after retiring, what kinda life is this?" and then the following day the same people go back to work, long hours, and so on.

Kind of reminds me of the boiling frog.
mm - yes there is the phrase, not sure of its origins, "no one ever lay on their death bed wishing they had spent longer in the office".

Though just as some entertainers die on stage I suppose a fair few people pop it in the midst of draft whatever of a marketing report.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
It seems like many of us would not go to work if we had enough cash in the bank and instead do things that we enjoy .

But what if our job is the thing that we enjoy. Take Steve Jobs for example, he enjoyed his work until the very end .

Top Bottom